Orioles Sign Ryan O'Rourke

wildbillhiccup

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wells was 20 all this season, not 19.    I’m still a big fan and hope you’re right that he may pick up another 1-2 mph as he matures, but I think he has a decent chance to succeed event if his velocity stays where it is, so long as he continues to hone his repertoire and his command translates to the baseball they use in the majors.  

My bad. The point is that he's my age. The height is there, but the muscle mass will come in time. His command is a plus tool already at this time in his career, and he doesn't walk a ton of guys. Your comments on his development are pretty much what I think as well. I'm really rooting for this guy

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

So your first offseason move is to sign a broken down pitcher with a 5.00 ERA and your okay with it?  LOL. I take you as someone who is more intelligent than that. You should read your own website more closely.

What difference does it make if it's the first move, the last move, or somewhere in between? What aren't you understanding about this? Literally every team makes minor league signings. There will be plenty more Ryan O'Rourke types of signings all around baseball. There have been no major league FA signings anywhere in the majors yet as far as I'm aware.

And please, enough with insulting people's intelligence, especially if you can't distinguish "your" from "you're."

12 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

No not really but I am surprised you can read.

Real scorcher right there. That and after looking at this thread, you're english is lacking. If you'd like, I could give you pointers and spell check your posts. 

Your insults are almost neanderthalian.  Seriously, if you're going to insult me, come at me with your A-game. Making fun of my reading capabilities? THAT'S THE BEST YOU GOT????? Come on, man.

In all seriousness, you made me literally laugh out loud when I read that. Thank you for making me chuckle. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wells was 20 all this season, not 19.    I’m still a big fan and hope you’re right that he may pick up another 1-2 mph as he matures, but I think he has a decent chance to succeed event if his velocity stays where it is, so long as he continues to hone his repertoire and his command translates to the baseball they use in the majors.  

I'm hoping he can do what you said. Imagine the Orioles having their own home grown version of Jimmy Key (or...a left handed Greg Maddux!) 

10 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm hoping he can do what you said. Imagine the Orioles having their own home grown version of Jimmy Key (or...a left handed Greg Maddux!) 

Instead of a lefty Maddux, I'd "settle" for aTommy Glavine.  Maddux actually threw pretty hard early in his career.  Glavine relied a lot on umps expanding the outside corner of the strike zone.  As technology becomes more prevalent, those types of pitchers might lose that ability.      

• Upvote 1

Recommended supplemental reading:  mlbtraderumors.com

Anyone will quickly see that the first moves of the off season for nearly every team in baseball are the Ryan O'Rourke types of signing.  They are routine.  And, I'm sure the fan forums for every team have the same type of complaints!

3 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

The signing is a joke and I don't appreciate you questioning my ability to distinguish your from you're. Spare me the lesson.

Do you think people appreciate you calling them "not very intelligent" and questioning their ability to read? Think more carefully about your choice of words next time.

• Upvote 1

Think I hit a nerve. LOL What grade are you in?

Honestly, I don't get offended. You honestly made me laugh. If you hit a nerve, I'd be in your PM box screaming at you. I'm in college right now. Questioning my age? How and why does that matter? He's young, hurdedur. (Insert lame insult here).  That validates my point, because HE'S YOUNG!!! See how silly you look? 

• Upvote 1

On 11/20/2017 at 12:44 PM, NCRaven said:

Recommended supplemental reading:  mlbtraderumors.com

Anyone will quickly see that the first moves of the off season for nearly every team in baseball are the Ryan O'Rourke types of signing.  They are routine.  And, I'm sure the fan forums for every team have the same type of complaints!

Yup, there are about 100 of them today as teams set their 40 man rosters.  Actually, most of the names today probably aren't as good as O'Rourke.  

On 11/17/2017 at 6:49 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

Gentlemen, and in some cases I use the word loosely, I set the bar high for this organization and to see a signing  like this to start the offseason as not only disappointing but pathetic. Scrap heap pitchers for minor league depth are a dime a dozen. From this vantage point, it looks like this is going to be another dumpster fire offseason when instead we need an aggressive agenda to get this franchise on the right track for the long term. So if you think a bunch of Roarke signings do it for you, then God Bless. Enjoy another year at the bottom. Personally, I look forward to the day Duquette hits the bricks.

Yes I too will be glad when DD is gone. But I don't mind DD signing organizational depth. Every team does it.

On 11/19/2017 at 12:51 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

So your first offseason move is to sign a broken down pitcher with a 5.00 ERA and your okay with it?  LOL. I take you as someone who is more intelligent than that. You should read your own website more closely.

Really? Why?

Hey look...I think the transaction sucks. If I made you laugh great. Perhaps this kid develops into something good. If he does, I will happily admit I'm wrong. Bottom line: I want this organization to be a serious contender again. I think we can all agree on that point.

I want this organization to be good too, but you don't need to be an ass about it. That's all it is