Could O's sign any of the Braves MiL free agents

cnmilton

Just curious;. Could the O's go hot and heavy after any of the Minor League free agents that MLB just voided from the Braves? None of them would be able to help this year, but have potential to possible strengthen the O's farm system.

I like the two 17 year old pitchers Juan Contreras and Yelfri del Rosario. 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

After the former Braves GM got banned for life from MLB, a bunch of international prospects were released and made free agents. Some are highly touted.

We are said to have a farm system problem. Could this be our lucky break?

It could be, but I'm betting the owner won't let it.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We didn't go after them the first time.   There's no reason to suspect we will this time either.

Yeah, but now they have better scouting reports and aren't 16. I doubt we will, but that is the argument the organization uses. These guys have now played pro ball. They are like free draft picks. 

Interesting take by fangraphs on the various prospects MLB is tossing back into the pool.    Several of them were rated sky high in the 2016 signing period and got huge bonuses, but are now viewed much more dimly.    It almost supports Angelos’ view that signing these big-dollar international guys is a bad risk.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-braves-punishment-is-in-and-its-harsh/

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Interesting take by fangraphs on the various prospects MLB is tossing back into the pool.    Several of them were rated sky high in the 2016 signing period and got huge bonuses, but are now viewed much more dimly.    It almost supports Angelos’ view that signing these big-dollar international guys is a bad risk.   

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-braves-punishment-is-in-and-its-harsh/

Like any other form of talent acquisition, you are going to have hits and misses.  The bottom line is it's a cost controlled way to add talent, the fact is that these players on average would get more money in a free agent style market (just like in the draft).  Maitan who was hugely hyped and got a $4.25m bonus hasn't lived up to the hype so far, but is still a plenty good enough prospect to be worth 4.25m in a non restricted market.

8 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Just curious;. Could the O's go hot and heavy after any of the Minor League free agents that MLB just voided from the Braves? None of them would be able to help this year, but have potential to possible strengthen the O's farm system.

I like the two 17 year old pitchers Juan Contreras and Yelfri del Rosario. 

I hope so, but I'm not going to be holding my breath.

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Maitan who was hugely hyped and got a $4.25m bonus hasn't lived up to the hype so far, but is still a plenty good enough prospect to be worth 4.25m in a non restricted market.

The international market is not non-restricted. If it was, the Braves wouldn't have to break the rules to sign all of these guys. 

10 hours ago, panick said:

Is there any international money left for any of these players?

They are free agents, so I ASSUME that you don't have to use international money on them.   Just regular money, offering them more than what another team does.

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They are free agents, so I ASSUME that you don't have to use international money on them.   Just regular money, offering them more than what another team does.

Great question!  Since we really don't know* why the O's don't sign "true international prospects" (money? politics? etc.?), we will find out if we do anything at all in this market.

*If you have a link on why we don't let me know

Eddie in the yard

"The opportunity to pursue these players is rare, and the Orioles could’ve been in a position to take advantage, but instead it is another example of how their outdated approach to signing international free agents is in need of major reworking."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-international-20171122-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

No.

From MLBTR:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/process-for-signing-prospects-stripped-from-braves.html

• The players — who get to keep their original bonuses but cannot be represented by the agents that negotiated their original contracts — will be subject to international signing pool restrictions but are otherwise free to sign with any organization.
  • MLB teams will be allowed a fresh $200K of bonus pool space to work with to sign any of these prospects. They may elect to draw from either their current signing period pool allocation or that of the 2018-19 period (but not both).
  • All MLB teams but the Braves can sign the prospects between December 5th of this year and January 15th of the next. Any players that do not sign within that period will no longer be eligible to receive a signing bonus. The Braves are eligible to pursue any still-unsigned prospects (without a bonus offer) beginning on May 1, 2018.

Archived