O's in discussions with Cubs, Almora Jr appears to be the target.

Roll Tide

A deal for Almora with Britton makes some sense.    I don’t think trading Gausman makes any sense at all.

I’m not super-high on Almora, just because he isn’t really a plus on the bases and his defense is better than Jones, but not spectacular.    He’s been worth 1.8 rWAR, 2.1 fWAR in slightly more than a full season of games.    I guess at 24 (next season) there’s room to grow, but he seems more like a decent starting CF than a rising star.    Still, not a bad get for one year of a closer who’s had some injuries.

If we had to throw in some more value to make this trade, maybe we send them Mullins and they send us some lesser piece?    There’s not much need for Mullins if Almora’s here for 5 years.    

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It does matter because it would be a reallocation of resources. We free ourselves of 12 million in salary, plus plug an open OF spot too. We have way too much money tied up in the backend of the bullpen. 

That's more money we can throw at FA SP. Looking at the system our strategy for the next few years is develop our upper level bats and bullpen arms, while buying the SP. 

I'm not opposed to acquiring Almora but I don't see where the team has an open OF spot.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not opposed to acquiring Almora but I don't see where the team has an open OF spot.

Mancini is not a long term option in LF. Also Jones will be gone next year. There are lots of things we can do with a good OF prospect, although pitching is obviously the immediate need.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini is not a long term option in LF. Also Jones will be gone next year. There are lots of things we can do with a good OF prospect, although pitching is obviously the immediate need.

Being able to make it work is not the same as a hole existing.

Right now the O's have Hays, Mullins, Stewart and perhaps Mountcastle in the mix by 2019.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Being able to make it work is not the same as a hole existing.

Right now the O's have Hays, Mullins, Stewart and perhaps Mountcastle in the mix by 2019.

But Almora doesn’t have the potential holes that Mullins does.   I think if you acquire him Mullins will be dealt.   

I would say the Orioles have quite a few prospects for the outfield, but I would also say that they have a couple of Defensive Holes in the Outfield. To me, Almora fills two holes. He is an excellent defensive CFer, so that fills that hole. Jones upon moving to right field becomes an excellent RFer, IMO. Two holes filled. Find a way to off load Trumbo and move Mancini to DH, put Hays in LF and voila! And excellent defensive outfield all the way around. I just hope that we can get this deal done for Almora. But I admit, I am an old school, Earl Weaver style guy. I think we have a much better chance to compete playing defense, pitching and the 3 run HR. Clearing out Brittons salary will allow the O's a considerable $$$ boost to go get some pitching help too. I absolutely would not entertain trading Gausman.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But Almora doesn’t have the potential holes that Mullins does.   I think if you acquire him Mullins will be dealt.   

Almora shouldn't and Mullins shouldn't be in the same conversation. Almora has a .777 OPS in 440 MLB PA's.  Mullins has about 250 PA's in above Delmarva. I'd say it's a 50/50 shot that Almora outproduces Jones next year. 

Really what this team needs to do is,

• Trade Britton for Almora.
  • Sign Manny and Schoop to long term deals. 
  • Put all of our available cash into FA SP. 

We need to hit on our position prospects like Sisco, Hays, Mullins, etc...  Then hit hope that Scott, Liranzo, and Wright, can step into high leverage bullpen roles. Do that and we don't have to suffer through some me long rebuild after this year. 

Archived