The Case for CC?

Bahama O's Fan

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

A "last place team" can be anywhere from 57-105 to 79-83. The 2017 Orioles (75-87) were much closer to the latter than the former last year. Also, last year was a solitary losing season. It's not like they have been perennial losers year in and year out, like they had been between 1998 and 2011.

The hitter's park could be a deterring factor.

If Peter decides that 2018 could be a last chance at enhancing his overall legacy and loosens up his pocket strings to go for broke, I believe that the Orioles have as good a shot as any other team that is bidding high for Cobb and Lynn.

o

Lynn is rumored to feel looking for 5/100... no way the Os are in that conversation 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Lynn is rumored to feel looking for 5/100... no way the Os are in that conversation.

o

I think that they are, considering the circumstances that I alluded to in regard to Duquette, Showalter, and Angelos.

The Orioles won 75 in games last year and were 3 games over .500 (71-68) as late as September 5th in spite of historically bad starting pitching ....... it's the elephant in the room/the Emperor with no clothes that can no longer be ignored and/or dismissed.

o

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Lynn is rumored to feel looking for 5/100... no way the Os are in that conversation 

At that length I hope they aren't. Whether it's Lynn, Cobb, Darvish or whoever I hope we would go no longer than 2-3 yrs. 

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Agreed ...then they need to stop going with the we are going for it MO! This team is not contending with one free agent pitcher and the scrap heap guys that DD will bring in for depth.

Oh I agree with you...but the Orioles management often lives in a posttruth universe.  We are going for it, but not if it involves going into the market big time for pitching.  Unfortunately, they are more likely to again finish last than first in 2018 and then we are going to be in a drought for years as we either rebuild or not compete. 

2 hours ago, billw76 said:

At that length I hope they aren't. Whether it's Lynn, Cobb, Darvish or whoever I hope we would go no longer than 2-3 yrs. 

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then don’t even bother making an offer, because that’s not competitive.   

o

Do you think that something like 3 years for $75 Million would be be in the competitive arena with 5 years for $100 Million ???

o

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Then don’t even bother making an offer, because that’s not competitive.   

If the money is right it is competitive. There are very few pitchers I would give a 5 year deal to, and of the FA's available this year Ohtani and Darvish are the only ones that I would even consider signing for more than 3 yrs.

Lynn, Cobb, Arrietta and everyone else available I'd do 2-3yrs and offer a little more money.

10 minutes ago, billw76 said:

If the money is right it is competitive. There are very few pitchers I would give a 5 year deal to, and of the FA's available this year Ohtani and Darvish are the only ones that I would even consider signing for more than 3 yrs.

Lynn, Cobb, Arrietta and everyone else available I'd do 2-3yrs and offer a little more money.

Chatwood may get 4 years because he is only 28. The average annual  salary will not be as high as the top 5 though. Maybe 4/48. And the O's could be the team offering it.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Chatwood may get 4 years because he is only 28. The average annual  salary will not be as high as the top 5 though. Maybe 4/48. And the O's could be the team offering it.

With younger upside guys like Chatwood, I'd want more years (4, rather than 2-3) , because the benefit is bigger if he takes a step forward outside once he comes down from pitching at altitude.

Archived