The Case for CC?

Bahama O's Fan

21 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The likelihood that the old man is going to sign even two free agent pitchers without one named Tillman  is very slim but us signing  three is extremely unlikely, imho. 

Why do you think Peter is high on Tillman?   He just paid him 10m for 1 win.   And he is having a terrible time coming back from an injury.  Doesn't sound like someone that Peter would be pushing to sign.   If DD and Buck want him on a 2M base for a one year contract with incentives  I think Peter might be alright with that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Does anyone seriously think someone like CC would want to end his career here? 

He's a multiple time all star.....cy young winner.....WS champ......a quarter billion in earnings.  And he'd come here......for what? 

He's gonna go somewhere that's advantageous to him.  Not somewhere where's he gonna allow 30 hr's in 160 innings.

Sabathia has always gone for the most money.    Give him the best offer and he is probably yours.  Especially  if the Yankees don't want him back.

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sabathia has always gone for the most money.    Give him the best offer and he is probably yours.  Especially  if the Yankees don't want him back.

What?  Hasn't he only been a free agent once?  And that was in his absolute prime.....back when the Yankees were practically giving out 9 figure contracts to every FA who hit the market.

Even still......you want the Orioles to outbid everyone for him?  For 25-30 hrs and160 innings? 

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

This is the biggest problem for the O's.

I would sign Sabathia for 1/15 with a club option for another 15m and a 2M buyout out.   But I don't know how the O's get him passed the doctors.

Not to mention that even if Sabathia himself felt confident enough that he could pass a physical then he'd probably still stay away from O's doctors considering they have a recent history of gutting FA pitchers earnings.

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

The likelihood that the old man is going to sign even two free agent pitchers without one named Tillman  is very slim but us signing  three is extremely unlikely, imho. 

Agreed ...then they need to stop going with the we are going for it MO! This team is not contending with one free agent pitcher and the scrap heap guys that DD will bring in for depth.

10 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I'm going to be a little greedier, particularly because Duquette and Showalter are in the last years of their contracts, and (I suspect that) Peter would probably like to take at least one more run at it before he retires.

1).Bundy

2))Gausman 

3) )Lynn

4) )Cobb

5) )5th Starter 

o

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

The O''s are at a real disadvantage in signing Cobb and Lynn.   They are last place team in a hitter's park.

Cobb has the option of going to the Cubs and reuniting with Madden and Hickey.   They have to be the favorite to sign Cobb.  I don't see the O's beating that.

The Rangers will outbid the O's for Lynn if the Rangers don't sign Ohtani.   I don't see the Lynn picking the O's over the Rangers.

o

A "last place team" can be anywhere from 57-105 to 79-83. The 2017 Orioles (75-87) were much closer to the latter than the former last year. Also, last year was a solitary losing season. It's not like they have been perennial losers year in and year out, like they had been between 1998 and 2011.

The hitter's park could be a deterring factor.

If Peter decides that 2018 could be a last chance at enhancing his overall legacy and loosens up his pocket strings to go for broke, I believe that the Orioles have as good a shot as any other team that is bidding high for Cobb and Lynn.

o

27 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I think he'd prefer to sign with CLE it the MFY aren't interested.

Cleveland had the best starting rotation ERA in the AL (by a lot), and has six returning starters who started 158 of 162 games.    I don’t see them spending any significant money on Sabathia.    

He's old, he's fat and there's a lot of innings on that arm.  You're paying for a name, not paying for production.  You're setting yourself up for paying a lot to an older pitcher who could break down at any moment.  

Would you pay 75k for luxury sportscar that has 150k miles on it?  No?  Then why would you want to spend any kind of good money on CC Sabathia?  A luxury sportscar isn't even a fair comp here, that would be lean and fast.  It's more like a fat, gas chugging, slow car.  Like an '88 Grand Wagoneer.  Would you pay 75k for an old ass Grand Wagoneer?

Stop being drawn to big names on the downside of their career unless you're absolutely positive that he's the one that could put you over the top.  And we're not even close to the top.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's old, he's fat, and there's a lot of innings on that arm.  You're paying for a name, not paying for production.  You're setting yourself up for paying a lot to an older pitcher who could break down at any moment.  

Would you pay 75k for luxury sportscar that has 150k miles on it?  No?  Then why would you want to spend any kind of good money on CC Sabathia?

Stop being drawn to big names on the downside of their career unless you're absolutely positive that he's the one that could put you over the top.  And we're not even close to the top.  

o

I agree.

Is it possible that Sabathia could have a decent season or 2 left in him ???

Yes, that's possible.

But it is also just as likely that he does not.

I think that the Orioles have plenty of evidence that it is generally unwise to spend money on wing-and-a-prayer types like Gallardo and Jimenez. I believe that they should either pay big money for younger, healthier free agent starting pitchers that are still in their prime, or don't bother at all. 

o

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Cleveland had the best starting rotation ERA in the AL (by a lot), and has six returning starters who started 158 of 162 games.    I don’t see them spending any significant money on Sabathia.    

CC would be an upgrade over Tomlin and Salazar. Maybe they would sign him and trade one of them to the O's. :D

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He's old, he's fat and there's a lot of innings on that arm.  You're paying for a name, not paying for production.  You're setting yourself up for paying a lot to an older pitcher who could break down at any moment.  

Would you pay 75k for luxury sportscar that has 150k miles on it?  No?  Then why would you want to spend any kind of good money on CC Sabathia?  A luxury sportscar isn't even a fair comp here, that would be lean and fast.  It's more like a fat, gas chugging, slow car.  Like an '88 Grand Wagoneer.  Would you pay 75k for an old ass Grand Wagoneer?

This.  Plus I really don't want to have to root for CC next year.  

Oh, I see.  The O's want a lefty in the rotation and some thing that Vargas or Garcia is a better choice than Sabathia.    Even though Sabathia had a 3.69 ERA last year while pitching in the AL East.  Vargas had a 4.16 ERA and Garcia has a 4.82 ERA when pitching in the AL East.   

I don't think Sabathia passed the O's physical but he is the better pitcher on one year contract of the three lefties.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Oh, I see.  The O's want a lefty in the rotation and some thing that Vargas or Garcia is a better choice than Sabathia.    Even though Sabathia had a 3.69 ERA last year while pitching in the AL East.  Vargas had a 4.16 ERA and Garcia has a 4.82 ERA when pitching in the AL East.   

I don't think Sabathia passed the O's physical but he is the better pitcher on one year contract of the three lefties.

I don't want Vargas.  His second half numbers were awful.  I would rather gamble on CC having another year left in the tank, but I doubt he would ever sign with the Orioles except for an extreme overpay.   

Archived