Dan Duquette on O's Hot Stove at 6pm, Nov 30th

wildcard

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

One thing that has not been mentioned from Dan's interview.

Dan said they have not found the solution to Tillman''s  pitching problems.  Sounds to me like they will not paid 6-10m to bring him back.  If he will sign for a low base and incentives that don't lock the O's in if Tillman can't find it.  Then the O's might be interested.

Sounds like Dan wants to trade Trumbo.  Hopefully for a veteran pitcher, probably on a bad contract.    Seems like bringing lefty Smith back to  be protection in case Hays isn't ready to start the season in right  but otherwise to be a platoon DH is  a possibility. 

O's are going to probably need some gap fillers until  Hays, Stewart  Santander and Mullins show they are ready for the majors.

This is like painting and recarpeting a house with a mold problem.  Until you fix the mold issue, why bother?  It will still be worthless.  

If the other team is scoring 5 or more runs by the 4th inning every other night we're done.  I don't get why we would spend ANY money on the offense if we aren't going to fix the rotation properly.  Unless you are bringing in Smith because you want to not start the service clock on young players I don't get where it will make a damn bit of difference this year.  

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

This is like painting and recarpeting a house with a mold problem.  Until you fix the mold issue, why bother?  It will still be worthless.  

If the other team is scoring 5 or more runs by the 4th inning every other night we're done.  I don't get why we would spend ANY money on the offense if we aren't going to fix the rotation properly.  Unless you are bringing in Smith because you want to not start the service clock on young players I don't get where it will make a damn bit of difference this year.  

Adding starters is job 1 this off season.  But it sounds like DD is convinced that Hays can hit lefties.   He may hit righties and be a full time player but that is not as certain.  If Hays is hitting lefties, Dan wants a left-handed  to platoon with Hays.  Probably on a one year contract.  Smith would fit that description.

If Hays is a full-time play then Smith can DH.

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

Actually. It is not like that. If it were I would agree. Bad contracts run out. Young players get good. Bad teams get good draft picks. 

It's not like mold. 

It is like the weather. You have an idea. But you can't tell until it happens. 

It is definitely not like painting and carpeting a moldy home. 

13 hours ago, weams said:

Actually. It is not like that. If it were I would agree. Bad contracts run out. Young players get good. Bad teams get good draft picks. 

It's not like mold. 

It is like the weather. You have an idea. But you can't tell until it happens. 

It is definitely not like painting and carpeting a moldy home. 

They can tinker with the offense all they want. They will still be a bad team unless they fix the rotation which I highly doubt they will do adequately.  Mold needs remediation and nothing else matters until it happens.  Sounds similar enough for me. 

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Hays starts in Norfolk unless he has a torrid spring and I think it's best if he starts in Norfolk.   Santander can get RH AB's and platoon if they get a LH hitter for RF.   It would be really stupid to have Hays accruing service time up here as a part time player when he should be getting everyday AB's in AAA where he can get more exposure to RHP's and hopefully improve against them (if that is indeed a weakness).      I don't have a lot of faith in the O's but I don't believe they are quite that stupid.

It all depends on what happens in ST. 

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I think Hays starts in Norfolk unless he has a torrid spring and I think it's best if he starts in Norfolk.   Santander can get RH AB's and platoon if they get a LH hitter for RF.   It would be really stupid to have Hays accruing service time up here as a part time player when he should be getting everyday AB's in AAA where he can get more exposure to RHP's and hopefully improve against them (if that is indeed a weakness).      I don't have a lot of faith in the O's but I don't believe they are quite that stupid.

5 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It all depends on what happens in ST. 

How much can we afford to spend in insurance for Hays. Its great to not have to depend on him but at what cost?  What else aren’t we spending money on if we get an insurance player?  

None of it happens in a bubble.  Different cost stratosphere I know but Chris Davis was at his signing a nice player to have but we all acknowledged it was terrible if it kept them from being able to spend in other areas.  

Manny, Schoop, pitching, pitching, pitching  

4 hours ago, bird watcher said:

How much can we afford to spend in insurance for Hays. Its great to not have to depend on him but at what cost?  What else aren’t we spending money on if we get an insurance player?  

None of it happens in a bubble.  Different cost stratosphere I know but Chris Davis was at his signing a nice player to have but we all acknowledged it was terrible if it kept them from being able to spend in other areas.  

Manny, Schoop, pitching, pitching, pitching  

They can afford 3-5 million on a 1 year deal for a LH hitting OF.

They could handle this off season well by being aggressive. They should get Cobb done fast, and be aggressive extending Manny. Once done with Cobb they could jump to Chatwood and the first four slots in the rotation is done. Once Manny is done extend Schoop before spring training. 

The plan should be if Manny doesn't happen go into deal mode and move Schoop, Britton, and Brach immediately. Honestly if I could get my asking price out of the Rockies for Britton he goes either way, and the same with Brach.

On 12/2/2017 at 8:05 AM, wildcard said:

Adding starters is job 1 this off season.  But it sounds like DD is convinced that Hays can hit lefties.   He may hit righties and be a full time player but that is not as certain.  If Hays is hitting lefties, Dan wants a left-handed  to platoon with Hays.  Probably on a one year contract.  Smith would fit that description.

If Hays is a full-time play then Smith can DH.

Trumbo is the DH.

On 12/2/2017 at 4:47 AM, wildcard said:

One thing that has not been mentioned from Dan's interview.

Dan said they have not found the solution to Tillman''s  pitching problems.  Sounds to me like they will not paid 6-10m to bring him back.  If he will sign for a low base and incentives that don't lock the O's in if Tillman can't find it.  Then the O's might be interested.

Sounds like Dan wants to trade Trumbo.  Hopefully for a veteran pitcher, probably on a bad contract.    Seems like bringing lefty Smith back to  be protection in case Hays isn't ready to start the season in right  but otherwise to be a platoon DH is  a possibility. 

O's are going to probably need some gap fillers until  Hays, Stewart  Santander and Mullins show they are ready for the majors.

Thanks for the additions.  

Sounds like he's saying that it's not a medical issue with Tillman.  Why bring a guy back who is just going to get rocked?  Plus his Baltimore really the best place to rebuild your value if you're a SP?  I see him going to an NL team, probably the Braves, on a one year prove it deal.  

I think with Trumbo we should just keep him.  Hope he bounces back.  He's not stealing AB's from anyone in 2018.  His contract is not what is killing us, that's Chris Davis.  

Sounds like the young group of OF's we have all need some AAA seasoning.  With a team that has a one year window, it wouldn't be smart to rush a player when we could easily bring back a vet like Seth Smith for a few million.  

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

They can afford 3-5 million on a 1 year deal for a LH hitting OF.

They could handle this off season well by being aggressive. They should get Cobb done fast, and be aggressive extending Manny. Once done with Cobb they could jump to Chatwood and the first four slots in the rotation is done. Once Manny is done extend Schoop before spring training. 

The plan should be if Manny doesn't happen go into deal mode and move Schoop, Britton, and Brach immediately. Honestly if I could get my asking price out of the Rockies for Britton he goes either way, and the same with Brach.

You are more optimistic than I am.  I don't think they will do most of that.  I'd gladly be wrong.  

Archived