Mike Friers on the trade market?

bpilktree

1 hour ago, twinedenter said:

Fiers could literally give up 40 homers, pitching for us. This is the type of "buy low" pitcher Duquette would sign. 

Unfortunately, HOPE is not a strategy. 

Yeah I really don't get why everyone's so high on this guy.  He's been trending in the wrong direction over the last two years and had an ERA+ of 76 last year and 88 the year before that. 

If they want to sign a 5th starter, rather they signed Vargas for 2/16 then fiers for 1/6.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CP0861 said:

It's about throwing about someone's head because it could kill someone or cause serious injury, right? Even though with a gazillion MLB at bats since Ray Chapman in 1920, no one has been killed since.  Remote chance.....but possible, right?

It only became an issue with headhunting, because the word "throwing at a players head" is what some fixated on when Oriole wrote, "I found a video of him throwing at a players head in retaliation for a bat flip."  I read that and came away with "him throwing....in retaliation for a bat flip."  And again, I took the time to actually watch the video he referenced......you know, in order to form my own opinion.....in which he clearly wasn't throwing AT the guys head.

Frobby - "By definition, if you throw at a batter’s head, you could kill him.    Obviously no pitcher tries to kill a hitter, but throwing at someone’s head intentionally is completely reckless and shouldn’t be condoned."

If you threw at the lower half, couldn't that also kill or seriously injure?   

You weren't happy with Sale, but couldn't that pitch have gone a mere 6-12 inches one way or another and caused serious injury to Manny?  Isn't it possible for a pitch to the abdomen or chest kill someone?  Ask Beef Supreme....that was one of the examples he cited.  Why isn't throwing at a waist also completely reckless?  

No MLB players has been killed but pros at other levels and amateurs have been killed. Your statement is intended to mislead the reader.

I remember how livid I was when lefty Fernando Abad, with malice, threw consecutive fastballs at Machado's knees. Probably could never have killed the batter but could derail a career. I would have no part of Abad on the Orioles under any circumstance. And as excellently as Sale has performed, he is one of the few players I would label a "head-case." Generally speaking, I don't want headhunters because, like Showalter, I don't want equivalent retaliation against Orioles' batters.

It's not just about death. Ask Tony Conigliaro or Kirby Puckett. I don't know that either pitcher was intentionally trying to hit those batters. I don't think Fiers was intentionally trying to injure Valbuena (scare him a little, sure). But your blanket praise of headhunting is indefensible. And I know you've never seen 90 purposely being aimed at your temple; if you had, you wouldn't be so glib and smug about your stance.

Words mean something. Maybe you enjoyed stirring the pot and riling people up with a kind of 'Yer all a buncha pussys'  machismo. But it looks pretty ridiculous to most of us. Better off being cool and presenting a low-key rebuttal than blasting people you see as your opponents.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

No MLB players has been killed but pros at other levels and amateurs have been killed. Your statement is intended to mislead the reader.

I remember how livid I was when lefty Fernando Abad, with malice, threw consecutive fastballs at Machado's knees. Probably could never have killed the batter but could derail a career. I would have no part of Abad on the Orioles under any circumstance. And as excellently as Sale has performed, he is one of the few players I would label a "head-case." Generally speaking, I don't want headhunters because, like Showalter, I don't want equivalent retaliation against Orioles' batters.

It's not just about death. Ask Tony Conigliaro or Kirby Puckett. I don't know that either pitcher was intentionally trying to hit those batters. I don't think Fiers was intentionally trying to injure Valbuena (scare him a little, sure). But your blanket praise of headhunting is indefensible. And I know you've never seen 90 purposely being aimed at your temple; if you had, you wouldn't be so glib and smug about your stance.

Words mean something. Maybe you enjoyed stirring the pot and riling people up with a kind of 'Yer all a buncha pussys'  machismo. But it looks pretty ridiculous to most of us. Better off being cool and presenting a low-key rebuttal than blasting people you see as your opponents.

No need to get into birds and referencing people being killed by pitches to the chest by pitching machines.  I'm not trying to mislead anyone, just wanting to stick to the context.......MLB pitchers.  There are decades and decades of data and thousands and thousands and thousands of hitters who have been up to the plate since 1920, and no one died.  That's all.  I understand baseballs can be dangerous. I understand a fastball to the head can be very very harmful. I never suggested otherwise.

I have no idea why you feel the need to convince me that being bit by a baseball can be harmful.  For the umpteenth time, I've never said otherwise. 

"But your blanket praise of headhunting is indefensible"

Uhhh.....what?  PLEASE SOME ME WHERE I SAID ANYTHING REMOTELY RESEMBLING THAT.  In the meantime, please stop putting words in my mouth.

You have absolutely no idea know what I've seen, and for you to ASSume, just shows your ignorance.  Making statements like "I know you've never" to a complete stranger, is just, well...stupid.  Where did I play?  What states?  How many championship teams was I on?  Baseball? Fastpitch? Slow pitch?  How many different sanctioned leagues have I played in?  What was the name of my All Conference star pitcher roommate in college?  Where did I just see Larry Bigbie just last night?  You know all that too, right?  I mean, you know.....so....

I didn't start this back and forth over headhunting.  Go back and start from my first post.  I made a statement, and was mocked in the very next post by a moderator.  From there, hell yeah I defended (and tried to explain) myself.  If you want to carry this discussion further (are you 18+?) feel free to PM me and I'm sure this can be resolved.  Why you even got involved in the first place, I have no idea. NO ONE directed any comments at you until you decided to throw in your 0.02.

I didn't blast anyone that didn't comment at me first....and even then, who did I "blast"? Go back and read. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have extreme dislike for headhunters there is no place in the game.

There is a fine area, however, the pitcher should have enough control, that he can throw the high hard one inside a bit, to back the hitter up and keeping the hitter honest.

He does for the most part.

When it gets that close, it was on purpose. That is a VERY rare case.

Archived