Fanfest

Going Underground

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

You've gone when there was no plan, and the team was in poorer shape and much worse overall. I don't see why you wouldn't go this year. 

Because I’ve gotten used to feeling optimistic about the upcoming season, and now I don’t.   And I feel the whole thing could be gloomy with Dan, Buck, Adam, Zach, Brad and Manny all with one foot out the door.    I can envision a lot of hostile questions and a lot of evasive, defensive answers (regardless of whether the questions are hostile) and I don’t think that will be fun.     

That said, I haven’t made up my mind.   I’m interested in what the younger players have to say, and of course there could be some additions to the team I’d be interested in hearing about/from.   

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because I’ve gotten used to feeling optimistic about the upcoming season, and now I don’t.   And I feel the whole thing could be gloomy with Dan, Buck, Adam, Zach, Brad and Manny all with one foot out the door.    I can envision a lot of hostile questions and a lot of evasive, defensive answers (regardless of whether the questions are hostile) and I don’t think that will be fun.     

That said, I haven’t made up my mind.   I’m interested in what the younger players have to say, and of course there could be some additions to the team I’d be interested in hearing about/from.   

I'd happily go if you didn't. 

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I mean, exactly. The two most important people in the organization, Dan and Buck, either don't know if they're here next year, aren't ready to announce whether they are, or have already decided they aren't. They're both apparent lame ducks, along with a portion of the 25-man roster that comprises some of the team's best players. 

What can even be said? 

Don't go to this FanFest.

Don't you assume that the next GM gets to pick his staff and manager?

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I always have fun. I hope that the players have a good time. 

18 hours ago, weams said:

Don't you assume that the next GM gets to pick his staff and manager?

No I don't. Angelos brought in Buck before DD.  Angelos does things backwards. Angelos has ruined this organization. I don't trust that man as far as l could throw a ton of dirt. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No I don't. Angelos brought in Buck before DD.  Angelos does things backwards. Angelos has ruined this organization. I don't trust that man as far as l could throw a ton of dirt. 

Right. The only constant is Angelos. Any questions lobbed at Dan/Buck at FanFest, you'll have to take their answers with a grain of salt. We don't know if they are here next year! They might know, but fans don't. Therefore, the future of the franchise is in question as far as fans are concerned until the Orioles announce who will be leading this organization next season. Nothing that is said can really be trusted when the people saying the things have no contract extensions for next season. 

By all means, bring your kids to Fanfest. But if you're not doing that, I question what exactly you're doing by attending this event. 

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

By all means, bring your kids to Fanfest. But if you're not doing that, I question what exactly you're doing by attending this event. 

I will say, one of the things I enjoy about Fanfest is simply being surrounded by 10,000 fairly passionate Orioles fans, almost all decked out in their Orioles gear, in the middle of the winter.     That has nothing to do with anything the GM, manager or players might say at the event.    It’s simply a day to celebrate being an Orioles fan.

Having said that, for the reasons I gave, I don’t think this one will be as fun as usual.  

18 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'll be there this year. Last year was the first time I went and it was pretty fun, especially if you don't go in over thinking things.

I've gone for the last few years after having never been previously.  Took my wife and kids last year (10 and 6) for their first time, and they all enjoyed it.  They all want to go back this year, so we'll be there again.

If you're expecting them to lay out their organizational blueprint, reveal the income statements, and share their true plan, I think it goes without saying that you'll be disappointed.  There may be a few more tense questions this year (and rightfully so), but the same Buck-isms and Dan-isms will be given as responses....just as they have for the past few years and in practically each and every interview they've ever given.  Don't we all have their responses memorized by now?  If anything.....I see it the other way.....the might be the most interesting year TO go. 

Also.....based on past experiences, avoid the food.  Grab a big breakfast on the way, or be prepared to be starving when you leave.  The food there was pretty crummy imo, or at least it was the time or two I tried it (pretty sure I avoided it last year and we stopped on the way).

Also, if anyone is taking kids....they have had free kids autograph sessions upstairs and the ballpark tour is worth checking out.  Hopefully the weather is not as frigid as it's been.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think I'd go even if I lived in Baltimore. I'd feel like whatever DD said or Buck said would be less than honest. JIMO

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will say, one of the things I enjoy about Fanfest is simply being surrounded by 10,000 fairly passionate Orioles fans, almost all decked out in their Orioles gear, in the middle of the winter.     That has nothing to do with anything the GM, manager or players might say at the event.    It’s simply a day to celebrate being an Orioles fan.

Having said that, for the reasons I gave, I don’t think this one will be as fun as usual.  

I always enjoy being with my people. 

Archived