Os requesting offers on Machado

Roll Tide

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I agree with you 100% ...Bedard was a very good starting pitcher and Manny is an elite talent. If the Orioles move him they will cash in.

Obviously Manny >> Bedard, but considering the market that particular winter and now, 2 years of Bedard > 1 year of Manny, from a trade perspective.    I don’t think we can get a Bedard-like haul for Manny at this stage, but if we can, we definitely should pull the trigger.  

15 hours ago, pdiddy said:

This list is kind of nuts.  Chances of trading him to Red Sox, Yankees, and Nationals are extraordinarily low. 

You mean like the chance of the Red Sox trading Andrew Miller to the Orioles for our most MLB ready pitching prospect? I would love to fleece the Sox or Yanks of one of their top prospects if we could, even if it would hurt seeing Manny play on a contending team in their uniform. I would be very interested in Devers. I doubt Yankees would do Gleybar.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Obviously Manny >> Bedard, but considering the market that particular winter and now, 2 years of Bedard > 1 year of Manny, from a trade perspective.    I don’t think we can get a Bedard-like haul for Manny at this stage, but if we can, we definitely should pull the trigger.  

Not the above, but in general I think there is a little too much hand wringing about what could have or should have happened.  I won't rehash the counter argument here.

Regarding the above, I think there are teams who may well be "in" on Manny and may be willing to meet Oriole demands for even one year even if they are sky high because of the following:

1)  Manny is an elite player at a reasonable price

2)   Getting Manny now allows you a year to lock him up and a head start on competition in negotiations

3)  Manny would still provide a pick to team if they lost him after a year

4)  I dont think there is a team in baseball that would not trade 3 top prospects or more if they felt that and Manny's one year contract would give them a leg up on a World Series.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thinks it's obvious what the plan is and we should begin to unload ...Offer Manny 10 year 250 million (staring this year) with the opt out after 5 years.

if Boras declines ....open the bidding and do the best you can ....I've mentioned a package from the Cards that I think is reasonable.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If we ever entertained trading Manny to the Red Sox (probably a pipe dream) we could package him with Trumbo. I could see them having some interest, because they've been linked to several 1b this offseason. Just a thought...

Manny and Trumbo for Bogaerts. Which team says no?

The contenders prefer that Manny stays with the O's in 2018, that way they keep prospects and just bid on him in 2019. On the O's he is not a factor in any playoff scenario so the contenders are great wathching Manny toil for a last place team. Everyone who watches the O's franchise (all of the other GM"s) believe that Angelos will never trade him. DD would need to convince a couple of teams that he WILL be traded and thus make them nervous about Manny altering the competitive balance. If the FO was smart they would be making very aggressive/public statements that they very much want to trade Manny now. Right now no one believes there is any chance of him being traded, and keeping him on the last place O's is a perfect scenario for the contenders

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

The contenders prefer that Manny stays with the O's in 2018, that way they keep prospects and just bid on him in 2019. On the O's he is not a factor in any playoff scenario so the contenders are great wathching Manny toil for a last place team. Everyone who watches the O's franchise (all of the other GM"s) believe that Angelos will never trade him. DD would need to convince a couple of teams that he WILL be traded and thus make them nervous about Manny altering the competitive balance. If the FO was smart they would be making very aggressive/public statements that they very much want to trade Manny now. Right now no one believes there is any chance of him being traded, and keeping him on the last place O's is a perfect scenario for the contenders

This is ridiculous.  I apologize, but it is.  Manny in your own words can change the competitive balance.  You may well be right, that DD and the Orioles won't make a deal.  But I cannot think of a single reason that a team that thinks Manny at SS or 3B at his salary, and gives them a leg up on tilting that competitive balance for 2018, would not part with a truck load of talent to A) Win a WS, and B) Have a year to lock up Manny on their own and C) Get a pick to go with their WS ring if he leaves.

And I believe those realizations, make someone get itchy and make an offer the O's cant refuse.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I thinks it's obvious what the plan is and we should begin to unload ...Offer Manny 10 year 250 million (staring this year) with the opt out after 5 years.

if Boras declines ....open the bidding and do the best you can ....I've mentioned a package from the Cards that I think is reasonable.

What difference does it makes what Boras thinks?

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Very true.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Manny and Trumbo for Bogaerts. Which team says no?

Lol, Sox say no.

Besides I know money is money and winning is winning, but I'd have to think that Manny would not want to sign with Boston long-term, as he has a bit of a history there.

Archived