Os requesting offers on Machado

Roll Tide

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Your getting 3-5 top end players for Manny if dealt. That's why the article suggest a contender whom is serious about a run at the World Series, willing to pay the price. 

If you think the Orioles are accepting a player or two your kidding yourself.

5 hours ago, theobird said:

I think you are exactly right. 

I think you guys are the ones kidding yourselves if you think one year of Manny is going to fetch 3-5 “top end players.”    I’m OK trading him, but it’s too late for that kind of return.   

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This whole situation just frustrates me, the Orioles (Angelos) should of addressed Manny's future last winter or the very least at the trade deadline. Either do your best to sign him if that's the route they want and if he balks then they trade him for the best offer. We're going to end up with just a pick.

7 hours ago, ChuckS said:

How much is Manny worth for one year to a team who is not desperate realistically?

How much is Manny worth for two months to a team who is desperate realistically?

For these reasons, I do not see Manny being traded.  The time to get the kind of value they are probably looking for has passed.  They will take the 6 WAR season and the 20 percent shot of a playoff birth with him on a roster over the possible trade return. 

...and that is why they are going to go back to losing for another stretch of years.

8 hours ago, ChuckS said:

How much is Manny worth for one year to a team who is not desperate realistically?

How much is Manny worth for two months to a team who is desperate realistically?

For these reasons, I do not see Manny being traded.  The time to get the kind of value they are probably looking for has passed.  They will take the 6 WAR season and the 20 percent shot of a playoff birth with him on a roster over the possible trade return. 

Yep.  This needed to be done last offseason, not now.  I would imagine that they'll let some teams kick the tires, no one will give them anything near what they think they should get, and the scenario in your last paragraph will play out.

7 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yeah, all the other options are either too pricey to add more than one or not very good.  Perhaps they get creative with trades, I don't know, I hope they'll come to their senses and sell short term assets but I'm not holding my breath. 

The return @Roll Tide is suggesting is at least equal to the Bedard return if not more.  Jones was a top 30ish prospect who had already debuted, Devers is a top 20 prospect who has debuted.  Devers had a strong debut.  Groome and Tillman are comparable as 19yo top 100 pitching prospects.  The big difference is Bedard had 3 years of control, Manny has one.  That's why I don't think the Red Sox would even consider that, but what do I know.  The only thing I know for sure is if someone (no matter if it's the Yankees or the Red Sox) makes an offer like that, you'd be an absolute fool not to take it.  

Having to be an absolute fool has never been disqualifying.  Bedard would not have been traded to the Red Sox either.  

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Yes that team trading for Manny would only be getting one year of service, but if they have deep pockets they'd also be getting a leg up on the competition in terms of wooing him and selling him on their team / City.

They will also get a pick back if he walks.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They will also get a pick back if he walks.

Would be great to trade him and restock the farm system.  Still expecting the team to "go for it" this year with signings of Vargas and Gonzalez, win 78 games, and lose Manny for a pick. Because Orioles.

Archived