Tigers sign Fiers (Crasnick: Orioles offered 2 years)

MDtransplant757

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Now the Orioles are even less enticing to pitchers than the hapless Tigers? Ugh.

I’d be surprised if the O’s offer was close to 6m per year. I’m surprised the Tigers went 6m, I’m sure the Astros would have taken a random fringe prospect for him so if you are ok with paying him 6m you just trade for him.

There is a lot more restraint this offseason.  You typically see these mid-tier free agents get bigger dollars when they sign early in the offseason.  I thought Tyler Chatwood at 3/38 as one of the first major SP to go was pretty low.  

The guys at the top (Darvish, Arrieta) will still get paid dumb money but you are going to see more value to be had with the low to mid-level guys. 

This is good for us. 

Reminds me of the offseason where we signed Tejada and Javy Lopez.  

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

There is a lot more restraint this offseason.  You typically see these mid-tier free agents get bigger dollars when they sign early in the offseason.  I thought Tyler Chatwood at 3/38 as one of the first major SP to go was pretty low.  

The guys at the top (Darvish, Arrieta) will still get paid dumb money but you are going to see more value to be had with the low to mid-level guys. 

This is good for us. 

Reminds me of the offseason where we signed Tejada and Javy Lopez.  

Pretty much every projection had Chatwood getting less per year than that, plus there are some pretty major salary escalator clauses if he's an all-star or gets just one Cy Young award vote.  I really like Chatwood and he was my top Orioles target, but I wouldn't have wanted the O's to go much more than 3/38 for a guy who hasn't pitched 160 innings in a season.  At that price he make more sense for a team like the Cubs whose payroll can more easily handle 13m of dead money in case of injury or ineffectiveness.

I think the only way we get good pitching is if we grow our own or trade for someone else's prospects.  We know that we won't pay big bucks for an elite FA arm (which is fine, I'm in the blow it up camp, pretty much).

It's just obvious that we're not a desirable destination for decent FA arms.  

39 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the only way we get good pitching is if we grow our own or trade for someone else's prospects.  We know that we won't pay big bucks for an elite FA arm (which is fine, I'm in the blow it up camp, pretty much).

It's just obvious that we're not a desirable destination for decent FA arms.  

Then for the arms you can’t grow yourselves, and then buy the bats you need to replace the ones you traded.  Hitters don’t mind coming here.   

6 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

I’d be surprised if the O’s offer was close to 6m per year. I’m surprised the Tigers went 6m, I’m sure the Astros would have taken a random fringe prospect for him so if you are ok with paying him 6m you just trade for him.

Can’t believe he turned us down.  Pitchers must really hate the AL East and OPACY. We shoulda just traded for this guy a few weeks ago. DD made a mistake here. 

Looks like we’re going to have to settle on Gonzo, Tillman and some poor soul we trade for.  FA SP ain’t coming here  

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Can’t believe he turned us down.  Pitchers must really hate the AL East and OPACY. We shoulda just traded for this guy a few weeks ago. DD made a mistake here. 

I give up. Now we want Dan to trade for someone that was released?  Just how good is he? 

I would not of had an issue signing him, but big picture wise once again we see the obstacles our GM has to navigate.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Looks like we’re going to have to settle on Gonzo, Tillman and some poor soul we trade for.  FA SP ain’t coming here  

Camden Yards used to actually be a rather pitching neutral ballpark, with a somewhat high home run rate.

When the Hilton was built off left field in 2007-2008, numbers immediately jumped up to approach the hype, because it changed the wind patterns in the stadium.  I doubt anyone had that kind of effect in mind at the time.  Nonetheless the stigma is hyperbolic.  Perhaps it is more that four of the five ballparks in the AL East favor hitters.  Or maybe pitchers are just afraid to give up home runs and don't think about other parts of the game that Camden Yards suppresses.

Archived