C Martin Cervenka selected in AAA portion of rule 5

Roll Tide

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Yep, I agree, someone dropped the ball.  

Even if you disagree with my scouting, the O’s just acquired him and he did nothing but hit since his acquisition.

You already know we agreed on him. We may disagree on a few other players, but he wasn't one of them. He had a higher upside than Marin, would have been a speed option up the middle, and had an advanced eye.

It is amazing how awful this organization can be with stuff that seems so simple. I'm assuming (horrible to do, I know) that they atleast put Means, Long, Rifaela, Gassaway, Dosch, Salcedo, Rosa, Little Yaz, ect. It could not have been a space issue.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Rosa?    That would be hysterical and sad if he was protected over Perez.   I don't think so.    I was going to play devil's advocate and name 75 guys I would have protected over Perez.   It's impossible to come up with 75 players to protect.     Are the guys in rookie ball and less than a certain number of years automatically exempt from the minor league phase?

I wasn't suggesting they actually protect Rosa, but more so pointing out they had more then enough spots that they could have put Perez there, especially after the way he produced when he came to Frederick.

From my understanding, you can only select any player that would be normally available for the Rule 5 portion of the MLB draft, unless they are protected by being placed on the 35 man "restricted" list for the Minor League Phase (or the 40 man MLB roster). So yeah, more than 4 years after signing at 19 or 5 at 18.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Okay, so it's not really 75 guys.   It's 35 minor league players that would have been rule 5 eligible.   Right?

From what I have read so far. But they changed the rules last year and made the Minor Leagues 1 phase. Not sure if they combined the "protected" list for AAA and AA as they don't really post stuff about the minor league phase.

54 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Okay, so it's not really 75 guys.   It's 35 minor league players that would have been rule 5 eligible.   Right?

38 at the AAA level and 37 at the AA level. So yeah 38 is the more important number.

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You already know we agreed on him. We may disagree on a few other players, but he wasn't one of them. He had a higher upside than Marin, would have been a speed option up the middle, and had an advanced eye.

It is amazing how awful this organization can be with stuff that seems so simple. I'm assuming (horrible to do, I know) that they atleast put Means, Long, Rifaela, Gassaway, Dosch, Salcedo, Rosa, Little Yaz, ect. It could not have been a space issue.

I didn’t mean you as you personally I know you like him too. I meant even if a person disagreed that it still wouldn’t make sense not to protect him. I should have worded it differently.

19 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Is that the current thing, since they made it only 1 phase?

That was the old thing that’s why I said 75 because it was condensed but not sure if the new number is different or if it’s just the old numbers added together.

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I don't think it's necessary, but I don't think there is going to be a big 40 man crunch, so why not. 

So who out of this group would you not protect?

Staters - (11) Bundy, Cashner, Cobb, Harvey, Hess, Means, Oritiz,  Ramirez, Rogers,  Yacabonis, Tate.

Relievers -  (15)  Araujo, Bleier, Carroll,  Castro, Fry. Givens, Gilmartin, Hart, Meisinger, Phillips,  Scott, Wright,  Flaa, Kline, Luis Gonzalez

Catcher (4)  Cervenka, Joesph, Sisco, Wynns

Infielders ( 6)    Beckham,  Davis, Nunez,  Valera, Villar, Wilkerson

Outfielder ( 6) Hays, Mancini, Mullins, Rickard, Stewart, Santander

DH (1) Trumbo

Rule 5 Draft (2)

Total (45)

Archived