Will The Dodgers and Atlanta Trade Affect The Orioles?

section18

Details on the MLB part of OH.  Dodgers reacquire Matt Kemp for Adrian Gonzalez. Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy and inf Charley Culbertson. Atlanta immediately designated Gonzalez. owed $22 mill this season. Will this trade affect our negotiations with either Atlanta or L.A.?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, section18 said:

Details on the MLB part of OH.  Dodgers reacquire Matt Kemp for Adrian Gonzalez. Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy and inf Charley Culbertson. Atlanta immediately designated Gonzalez. owed $22 mill this season. Will this trade affect our negotiations with either Atlanta or L.A.?

Well, with their need for bullpen and their overabundance of MLB veteran starters, plus young guys coming up, I thought that maybe the Orioles could deal Britton for a guy like Maeda.   That appears to be less likely.

I don't think we have had much negotiation going on with LA or Atlanta, but if we did I don't think this changes anything really.   If I am Adrian Gonzalez though, I might be very tempted to just take my 22 mil for the season and go to the house.    I wish somebody would pay me NOT to go to work...lol.  

10 minutes ago, section18 said:

I don't think so, the main point of this trade is that the Dodgers save almost 30 million this year (which helps them get under the luxury tax).  In exchange, the give up McCarthy (who is a solid player), Kazmir (who might be able to do something in 2018) and they take on 21.5 million in salary for next year.

This allows the Braves to clear salary for 2019 when they may try to compete and gives them a couple of veteran pitchers on one year deals (albeit expensive one year deals).

Gonzalez and Kemp will both probably be cut.

Maybe this makes the Braves more likely to trade for Manny and try to extend him or maybe it makes the Dodgers more able to take on Britton's salary, but I don't think it makes a big difference.

Edit: yep, Gonzalez has been DFA (per Mark Bowman), and a source tells Rosenthal Kemp will be cut.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I don't think so, the main point of this trade is that the Dodgers save almost 30 million this year (which helps them get under the luxury tax).  In exchange, the give up McCarthy (who is a solid player), Kazmir (who might be able to do something in 2018) and they take on 21.5 million in salary for next year.

This allows the Braves to clear salary for 2019 when they may try to compete and gives them a couple of veteran pitchers on one year deals (albeit expensive one year deals).

Gonzalez and Kemp will both probably be cut.

Maybe this makes the Braves more likely to trade for Manny and try to extend him or maybe it makes the Dodgers more able to take on Britton's salary, but I don't think it makes a big difference.

Edit: yep, Gonzalez has been DFA (per Mark Bowman), and a source tells Rosenthal Kemp will be cut.

Man there may be a time in the very near future where "clearing" certain bad contracts will be really needed here as well.    I am looking at you over there working out, Crush....make me eat my words, guy!!  

ESPN says Atlanta will be given cash as well.  The right handed 33 year old Kemp ( 21.75 mill in 2018) hit .276 with 19 HR's and 64 RBI's in 2017.

Gonzalez is owed 22. 36 mill, Kazmir 17.66 mill and McCarthy 11.5 mill.  All in the last year of their contracts.

4 minutes ago, section18 said:

ESPN says Atlanta will be given cash as well. Kemp ( 21.75 mill in 2018) hit .276 with 19 HR's and 64 RBI's in 2017.

Gonzalez is owed 22. 36 mill, Kazmir 17.66 mill and McCarthy 11.5 mill.  All in the last year of their contracts.

Missed the cash, but Kemp is such a bad outfielder that he needs to hit much better than that to have value.

Weams and I have been kicking backing the numbers on this.

LA essentially dumps $51M this year and takes back Kemps $21.75M.  Now keep in mind, LA was already on the hook for $3.5M for Kemp with San Diego also owing $2.5M of his salary.  Therefore, the additional payroll  that LA is taking back this year is $15.75M for Kemp.  Net savings to them of about $35.25M.  Now in 2019, their projected payroll was already down because those contracts they traded were over in 2018.

2 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Weams and I have been kicking backing the numbers on this.

LA essentially dumps $51M this year and takes back Kemps $21.75M.  Now keep in mind, LA was already on the hook for $3.5M for Kemp with San Diego also owing $2.5M of his salary.  Therefore, the additional payroll  that LA is taking back this year is $15.75M for Kemp.  Net savings to them of about $35.25M.  Now in 2019, their projected payroll was already down because those contracts they traded were over in 2018.

So the basics are LA saves in 2018 and a little overall, the Braves save in 2019 and get McCarthy in 2018.

19 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

So the basics are LA saves in 2018 and a little overall, the Braves save in 2019 and get McCarthy in 2018.

Yes, and even another way to look at it LA was already off the hook that same $51M in 2019.  The value of their guaranteed contracts for 2019 and beyond is significantly down (follow this link ).  Everyone talks Yankees, but they could also add one of Harper and Machado in 2019, and maybe both.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Yes, and even another way to look at it LA was already off the hook that same $51M in 2019.  The value of their guaranteed contracts for 2019 and beyond is significantly down.  Everyone talks Yankees, but they could also add one of Harper and Machado in 2019, and maybe both.

Yep, and the big thing is to reset the Luxury tax penalties by going under in 2018 so they can really spend big in 2019.

Archived