Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/passan-broader-forces-driving-slow-free-agency.html

Ive seen posts thrown at the Orioles FO for being slow on the uptake and not going after FAs before other teams.

Which hasn't been something DD has been overly concerned with.

It looks the whole MLB is taking it slow this off-season.

Passan argues that front offices — now widely populated by similarly minded executives with significant analytical resources — have narrowing differences in player valuation and increasingly prefer not to build through the open market. Growing out of that executive trend, perhaps, is also an added recognition from teams that patience generally depresses prices in free agent negotiations. Enhanced discipline also allows teams to turn the new collective bargaining agreement’s luxury-tax penalties into what one agent describes to Passan as “significant salary depressors.” Meanwhile, he suggests, there’s a sense in some quarters that individual players are no longer quite as interested in gunning for top dollar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Mike Friers denies two year deal here for a one year deal in Detroit

Mike Fiers has less than 5 years of service time, he's a Tiger through the 2019 season. He signed a one year contract with the ability to go through arbitration for the second year.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, it seems very slow.     

There was an article last week, somewhere, I read it on bleacher report, but not sure where it originated.

It talked about what a slow off-season it was all the away around the league, and usually a GM will jump in and do something and the rest will fall like dominoes, but not this season.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

There was an article last week, somewhere, I read it on bleacher report, but not sure where it originated.

It talked about what a slow off-season it was all the away around the league, and usually a GM will jump in and do something and the rest will fall like dominoes, but not this season.

I think the O's with Manny are holding things up honestly. Half the league is in on it and they ALL have plan A with him and plan B without. Once he's traded or teams just give up I expect things to move really fast after that. In reality once the first team gives up I expect a domino effect and everyone moves to Plan B.

Just now, Nite said:

I think the O's with Manny are holding things up honestly. Half the league is in on it and they ALL have plan A with him and plan B without. Once he's traded or teams just give up I expect things to move really fast after that. In reality once the first team gives up I expect a domino effect and everyone moves to Plan B.

I doubt the Orioles are holding things up, the rest of the league is used to them not being in the early market.

Maybe the Orioles plan is to hold the rest of the sport hostage all winter. They will be winners in the Manny deal no matter what. 

In all seriousness I hate this. I stayed away for about a month because all if the rumors and speculation and here we are after the Winter Meetings and it is the same.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe the Orioles plan is to hold the rest of the sport hostage all winter. They will be winners in the Manny deal no matter what. 

In all seriousness I hate this. I stayed away for about a month because all if the rumors and speculation and here we are after the Winter Meetings and it is the same.  

The MLBTR had a link to another article, and there was no mention of the Orioles being the culprit.

The unnamed exec also stated that slowing the pursuit of free agents is strategic, explaining that players are “going to worry they won’t get a job and I’m going to get a discount.” In the final analysis, says one GM: “Teams are smarter. They know how terrible free agency is.” As MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes notes on Twitter, that’s perhaps also related to the fact that there are “fewer impulsive owners than ever.” These owners have not only assembled increasingly sophisticated front offices, but are perhaps more likely to listen to them than ever before.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/passan-broader-forces-driving-slow-free-agency.html

Archived