Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

With each day that elapses after Jan. 1, asking prices are more likely to decline than increase." This is what I think as well. Which is why I wouldn't write off a Cobb and/or Lynn signing

That would be good for the O's. Just wish Angelos would let DD sign one of those pitchers. Would realize the team needs good pitchers. Not washed up over the hill used to be's. 

37 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

That would be good for the O's. Just wish Angelos would let DD sign one of those pitchers. Would realize the team needs good pitchers. Not washed up over the hill used to be's. 

PA doesn't object to those SP per se, he objects to more than three years and more than 15 M AAV.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

With each day that elapses after Jan. 1, asking prices are more likely to decline than increase." This is what I think as well. Which is why I wouldn't write off a Cobb and/or Lynn signing

But many teams are waiting for prices to drop. Makes it more difficult for the Orioles with other teams bidding and many pitchers not wanting to pitch at Camden Yards. The Orioles would stil have to overbid.

Hosmer supposedly has multiple 7 year offers from Royals and Padres on the table.  These offers don't make sense for either team.  KC must want to sign the "fan favorite" to put butts in the seats.  That worked out well for the O's.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/eric-hosmer-multiple-7-year-offers-royals-padres-rumors-free-agent.html

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

But many teams are waiting for prices to drop. Makes it more difficult for the Orioles with other teams bidding and many pitchers not wanting to pitch at Camden Yards. The Orioles would stil have to overbid.

Prices could go back up when teams decide to get back in it

6 hours ago, Going Underground said:

But their over bid might be in their spending range.

9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Exception that proves the rule. And how did that turn out.

I don’t think it IS a rule. If he had rules, it would be consistent.  But he has no rules, he just has whims or favorite pets or pet peeves.   If presented with another stupid 4 year deal, I think Potter is perfectly capable of saying yes.   Or no.  If it is a Thursday and he feels like it.  Or not.   

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I don’t think it IS a rule. If he had rules, it would be consistent.  But he has no rules, he just has whims or favorite pets or pet peeves.   If presented with another stupid 4 year deal, I think Potter is perfectly capable of saying yes.   Or no.  If it is a Thursday and he feels like it.  Or not.   

He has rules and has stuck to them, Strict physicals, limited international spending, Limited spending on SP. Besides Ubaldo name another O's SP who got 4 years from PA Extensions for percieved fan favorites..

19 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

He has rules and has stuck to them, Strict physicals, limited international spending, Limited spending on SP. Besides Ubaldo name another O's SP who got 4 years from PA Extensions for percieved fan favorites..

Scott Erickson..5 years.  Mike Timlin...4 years. 

4 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Timlin was not a SP.

I thought the issue was whether Potter has a “rule” about 4 year deals for free agent pitchers.  My bad.  But I just don’t think he has unchangeable “rules”...i think he goes by idiosyncratic gut feelings and beliefs rather than data and evidence.   He might make a bad 4 year deal for a pitcher.  Or not.  Just depends on his mood and gut. 

Archived