Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Exception that proves the rule. And how did that turn out.

That is because he gave 4 years to a player no other team wanted.  Same as Chris Davis and Trumbo.  Giving big deals to guys no one else wants.   I guess in his eyes it is saving money but really better to sign no one.  

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Machado is in for a rude awakening when he goes to free agency next year. If I were him I would negotiate with the team now.  If he gets injured or puts another bad season like last year he is going to be looking at less money then he could get from the team.  Well unless Angelos doesn't want him at even a fair price.

1 hour ago, cimota said:

That is because he gave 4 years to a player no other team wanted.  Same as Chris Davis and Trumbo.  Giving big deals to guys no one else wants.   I guess in his eyes it is saving money but really better to sign no one.  

"It is likely in part due to some unusual circumstances — particularly, the looming free-agent crop of next offseason, headlined by Bryce Harper and Manny Machado" that's this season, Teams are worried about luxory tax. They want to be sure they can afford him next FA. Barring injury he'll get paid. 

4 hours ago, cimota said:

How do you know nobody else wanted these guys?    I seriously doubt that’s true.    Nobody else made them an offer they considered acceptable.    That’s different.   In the end, the team that gets the FA usually pays more, in dollars and/or years, than other teams were willing to offer.    The O’s were no different with these three.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

How do you know nobody else wanted these guys?    I seriously doubt that’s true.    Nobody else made them an offer they considered acceptable.    That’s different.   In the end, the team that gets the FA usually pays more, in dollars and/or years, than other teams were willing to offer.    The O’s were no different with these three.    

Yeah, I got tired of the "O's bod against themselves" or "No one else wanted Davis or Trumbo". Maybe not at the deals they got in the end, but I'm sure others were interested. Cleveland and Colorado were in on Trumbo. 

Just now, Dark Helmet said:

Yeah, I got tired of the "O's bod against themselves" or "No one else wanted Davis or Trumbo". Maybe not at the deals they got in the end, but I'm sure others were interested. Cleveland and Colorado were in on Trumbo. 

I think in Davis’ case, the early 7/$150 mm offer may have scared off other bidders.    But of course other teams would have been interested in him, just not at what the O’s were willing to pay.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think in Davis’ case, the early 7/$150 mm offer may have scared off other bidders.    But of course other teams would have been interested in him, just not at what the O’s were willing to pay.  

Yeah, they may have went all in way too soon on Davis. I think quite a few teams would have been in at 5/100.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I recall, the Tigers were in on Davis.  The owner wanted him badly.  The GM talked him out of topping the Orioles bid.

17 hours ago, cimota said:

I think Machado is in for a rude awakening when he goes to free agency next year. If I were him I would negotiate with the team now.  If he gets injured or puts another bad season like last year he is going to be looking at less money then he could get from the team.  Well unless Angelos doesn't want him at even a fair price.

I think next year's market is impacting this year's market.

Archived