Each MLB owner to get 52m from BAM Tech

wildcard

21 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I saw this the other day. We aren’t hearing about any labor issues are we?  Owners are doing just fine. 

When Wade Miley's of the world can make $10m a year I can't take too much pity on the players.  But this has to piss off Marlins fans, team is selling everyone and ownership will get rewarded with a $52M payout.  

If the O's trade Manny and Britton for prospects the O's projected payroll after deferrals will be 90m.  That is about 60m below last years payroll.  Add 52m and Peter has 110m in his pocket.     It will be interesting to see how he stocks the 2017 roster.  Money will not be the problem.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/07/07/the-biggest-media-company-youve-never-heard-of/#3dc5c4d11cef

Here is a 2014 article for anyone not familar with this MLB offshoot.  It was funded by an intial investment by every owner (1m per year each for 4 years) and has paid off in spades, returning a huge amount of value in dividends even before this sale.  Owners also got another 33 million last year from the first sell off of 33% of BAM to Disney.  Owners still have a 15% stake in BAM.

$52 mm per team is a lot of money, but realize what that means.   It’s a one-time payment, and MLB’s share of BAMTech is reduced from 57% to 15%.    That means that whatever dividends BAMTech was paying to MLB will be reduced about 74% — not just next year, but forever.     So while this is a nice payday for 2017, it means less revenue in future years.    Of course, Disney can probably market BAMTech’s technology better than MLB could, so the MLB teams probably do better overall by selling the majority stake rather than keeping it, but it’s not like selling a revenue-producing asset for a one-time cash payment means the owners will have a constant stream of revenue like this.   

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

$52 mm per team is a lot of money, but realize what that means.   It’s a one-time payment, and MLB’s share of BAMTech is reduced from 57% to 15%.    That means that whatever dividends BAMTech was paying to MLB will be reduced about 74% — not just next year, but forever.     So while this is a nice payday for 2017, it means less revenue in future years.    Of course, Disney can probably market BAMTech’s technology better than MLB could, so the MLB teams probably do better overall by selling the majority stake rather than keeping it, but it’s not like selling a revenue-producing asset for a one-time cash payment means the owners will have a constant stream of revenue like this.   

Did they sell the revenue stream or just the tech behind it?

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did they sell the revenue stream or just the tech behind it?

They sold 42% of the company, having sold 33% last year.   And other investors already owned 10%.    So, MLB’s share of the company has gone from 90% to 57% to 15% over the last two years.    The company itself owns the technology and the revenue derived from it, but I was referring to dividends paid by the company after receiving that revenue.    Those dividends paid to MLB will be proportionately lower.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

BAM tech $ + Sell the naming rights to the stadium $ + MASN money = why the hell aren’t we keeping Machado again?

Since the Stadium belongs to the tax payers and not the team, why would they get the money?

That was a one time money (BAM)

and I thought some of MASN money was held in escrow?

Archived