So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

backwardsk

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We may have to wait and see where Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, and Lynn sign before a Manny trade goes down.     If some of the teams mentioned, particularly the Cubs and Cards sign one of the big two, then they may be more willing to deal pitching.

what do you make of the media hype surrounding Boston's interest in Manny?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, oriole said:

So I was reading the mlbtraderumors chat transcript from this morning (or yesterday? Don't know/care) and the guy hosting the chat predicted our rotation to be Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Holland, Castro. That sounds realistic but does anyone else feel like the FO can't be that stupid to think that is a rotation within striking distance of even possibly competing in the AL East right now? I know it's just one guys prediction but it seems like the type of moves this team would make at this point and it just makes me depressed. Maybe it's the weather but that rotation could possibly beat last years claim to the worst in O's history.

Of course they can be that stupid. They were stupid enough to believe the 25th best rotation in 16' was good enough for 17. We saw how that worked out. ERA of rotation under Duquette is 5. Not much "smart" going on.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I take all of it with a grain of salt.     I don't believe the actual offers are nearly as good as some of you guys are speculating or hoping.

My hope, he stays here as a life long Orioles.

My speculations, no GM spends the prospects for him now, and waits until he becomes a FA.

I threw Boston out there, as an alternative to the Cubs/Cards being in the lead.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Bundy and Gausman both fared well last year pitching against the AL east.

I'm not necessary worried about them. I think they can be counted on to be average. It's Cashner and Holland I'm worried about. Castro is a wildcard here...honestly I'd prefer him lights out in the bullpen but considering his competition for a rotation spot is as uncompetitive as it gets I guess we will have to see it through assuming he doesn't bomb in ST. 

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.   Most of the deals I've seen speculated are way, way, way better.   Posters have been turning up their noses or asking for more in deals that are already too good to be true.

Agree with this and with CoC.  Anything better than a late first round pick is good enough for me.  They won't be competing this year in all likelihood with the Yankees reloading with sTanton and the Sox being a threat every year.  If Russell and Montgomery were included in the same package, that is a solid return for Manny and a deal that needs to be done.

32 minutes ago, oriole said:

I'm not necessary worried about them. I think they can be counted on to be average. It's Cashner and Holland I'm worried about. Castro is a wildcard here...honestly I'd prefer him lights out in the bullpen but considering his competition for a rotation spot is as uncompetitive as it gets I guess we will have to see it through assuming he doesn't bomb in ST. 

I wouldnt spend any time worrying about the 3rd, 4th and 5th slot, until we sign bodies, it was just pure speculation on one person's opinion.

In my own opinion, I  want to see what Cortes can do, and of course Mesa Jr in ST.

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I wouldnt spend any time worrying about the 3rd, 4th and 5th slot, until we sign bodies, it was just pure speculation on one person's opinion.

In my own opinion, I  want to see what Cortes can do, and of course Mesa Jr in ST.

Yea, I know it was pure speculation. The parts that irks me is the reality that this particular guess is way more likely than what actually needs to be done to get the team to be competitive. 

5 minutes ago, oriole said:

Yea, I know it was pure speculation. The parts that irks me is the reality that this particular guess is way more likely than what actually needs to be done to get the team to be competitive. 

Even if they had Dodger money, are there 3 really good SP even available on he FA market?

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Even if they had Dodger money, are there 3 really good SP even available on he FA market?

There are 3 good enough to make the O's competitive but that's pointless to discuss. I'm one of the idiots who had secret hopes of seeing Cobb signed. Now all I can do is cross my fingers that Holland has never been considered and hope our soft tossing rule 5 pick has enough to stay under a 5 ERA.

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

There are 3 good enough to make the O's competitive but that's pointless to discuss. I'm one of the idiots who had secret hopes of seeing Cobb signed. Now all I can do is cross my fingers that Holland has never been considered and hope our soft tossing rule 5 pick has enough to stay under a 5 ERA.

I dont care if the rule 5 guy is soft tossing, he appears to have very good control and a KO pitcher.

For the record, in my book, 88-92, is not soft tossing, he just isn't a fireballer.

For me, you get in the low 80s, thats soft tossing, but thats me.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Agree with this and with CoC.  Anything better than a late first round pick is good enough for me.  They won't be competing this year in all likelihood with the Yankees reloading with sTanton and the Sox being a threat every year.  If Russell and Montgomery were included in the same package, that is a solid return for Manny and a deal that needs to be done.

I agree that some of us are overestimating Machado's trade value, but it is equally clear to me that some of us are underestimating Machado's trade value.  His value is not that of a late first round draft pick.  His value is 2018 Manny Machado plus a late first round draft pick.  Some of us seem to think that 2018 Manny Machado is worthless.  That simply isn't true.  Manny's 2018 value differs depending on a team's perception of their chances to win the world series, but it definitely isn't zero.  As with all trades, the key is to find a deal with a team that considers Machado's 2018 value to be higher than we do.

Archived