So What is the Plan for Starting Pitching?

backwardsk

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy idea - If we’re not trading Manny because we think we can contend, why not go all in and see if we can get Arrieta and Darvish on 1 yr, $30M contacts or something and give it a whirl to see if that can take us to the promised land? Then start over next year. 

16 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You don’t think Cortes has a shot at the rotation?

I think he does.  As do all the other guys Weams mentioned.  Whomever pitches the least sh***y in ST will fill out the other 3 rotation spots.

8 minutes ago, DoughBoy52 said:

Crazy idea - If we’re not trading Manny because we think we can contend, why not go all in and see if we can get Arrieta and Darvish on 1 yr, $30M contacts or something and give it a whirl to see if that can take us to the promised land? Then start over next year. 

Several of us have said the same thing.  But they simply won't do it.

34 minutes ago, DoughBoy52 said:

That's creative, and would be favorable over the threading water scenario. Generally, guys like that wouldn't be willing to take deals like that, but with the pace of this off-season, they might consider it.  The only problem is that would cost 2 draft picks and I doubt there is that much room in the payroll.

28 minutes ago, weams said:

I do not think they will start him there. No. 

If the competition is Castro, Ynoa, Asher and Wright, Cortes will have as good a chance as any of them of starting out the year in the rotation.    May the best man win.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

If the competition is Castro, Ynoa, Asher and Wright, Cortes will have as good a chance as any of them of starting out the year in the rotation.    May the best man win.

I'd rank their chances: Cortes, Castro, Ynoa, Asher........................Wright

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I'd rank their chances: Cortes, Castro, Ynoa, Asher........................Wright

I’m worried about the fact that LHB had an OPS of something like .848 vs. Castro last year.    I think teams will be stacking their lineups with lefties if he’s a starter.   

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m worried about the fact that LHB had an OPS of something like .848 vs. Castro last year.    I think teams will be stacking their lineups with lefties if he’s a starter.   

Yeah, I have to squint really hard to see Castro as a starter.  

Speaking of Castro, I was disappointed he hadn’t put on any weight at mini-camp. I’d hire him a personal chef if I was running the team. Feed the man.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I have to squint really hard to see Castro as a starter.  

Speaking of Castro, I was disappointed he hadn’t put on any weight at mini-camp. I’d hire him a personal chef if I was running the team. Feed the man.

Remember when Tillman showed up with extra weight? How did that go?

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sold on Castro at all.  He had a good run in a limited sample size.  Plenty of guys have done that and then fallen off the table.  I think they're making a big mistake if they count on him making the move to the rotation.

52 minutes ago, esmd said:

I'm not sold on Castro at all.  He had a good run in a limited sample size.  Plenty of guys have done that and then fallen off the table.  I think they're making a big mistake if they count on him making the move to the rotation.

They can’t count on any one of the in-house candidates making the rotation.    I’d be fine letting those candidates compete for the fifth spot if we have decent solutions at the other two.   

Archived