Orioles out On Cobb per Roch

bpilktree

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the top tier FA starters have injury risks. I prefer Cobb. He has had success pitching in the AL East and has never relied on velocity. For me it's Cobb or Lynn. Whoever signs Darvish or Arietta will greatly regret it.

The Orioles will have to overpay for any FA starter. Offer Cobb 4/72 and go get Vargas or Cashner at 2/24 and Miguel Gonzalez or Tillman on a 1 year deal. 

Bring back Seth Smith on a 1 year deal. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cobb just turned down 3/42 from the cubs.

21 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He's already turned 3/51.5 from the Cubs.

Which is it?   Neither one of you posted a link.    There’s a pretty significant difference here.   

I can't see how Cobb doesn't get at least what Chen got.  I think the Orioles are foolish, with their dire need for pitchers, not to be in on him.  Foolish.  What the hell are you even in the game for if you're not going to at least try to win?

6 minutes ago, esmd said:

I can't see how Cobb doesn't get at least what Chen got.  I think the Orioles are foolish, with their dire need for pitchers, not to be in on him.  Foolish.  What the hell are you even in the game for if you're not going to at least try to win?

Chen as an Oriole: 110 ERA+ in 706 IP in 4 years.

Cobb as a Ray: 111 ERA+ in 700 IP in 6 years (plus a year missed with TJ).

Considering Chen’s better durability (at the time) and the fact that he pitched in a tougher ballpark, I could make the case that Chen was a better bet on a 5-year deal than Cobb.    And we saw  how that turned out.   

Another round of people here thinking we are going to sign Cobb at a 4-5 year deal at anywhere from 65-90 million.    Not happening.  We will sign Miggy and Tillman and if and when we trade Manny we will add any obtained pitchers to the rotation mix.    This team needs to just face the reality that we are not going to be a playoff contending  team in 2018 and forget dumb ideas like signing overpriced free agent pitchers.  Trade Manny, extend Schoop, trade whatever other parts you can and draft well. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Chen as an Oriole: 110 ERA+ in 706 IP in 4 years.

Cobb as a Ray: 111 ERA+ in 700 IP in 6 years (plus a year missed with TJ).

Considering Chen’s better durability (at the time) and the fact that he pitched in a tougher ballpark, I could make the case that Chen was a better bet on a 5-year deal than Cobb.    And we saw  how that turned out.   

Fair enough, but that was also two offseasons ago, and there is a year to year inflation in MLB.  And the need for pitching has only increased.

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Another round of people here thinking we are going to sign Cobb at a 4-5 year deal at anywhere from 65-90 million.    Not happening.  We will sign Miggy and Tillman and if and when we trade Manny we will add any obtained pitchers to the rotation mix.    This team needs to just face the reality that we are not going to be a playoff contending  team in 2018 and forget dumb ideas like signing overpriced free agent pitchers.  Trade Manny, extend Schoop, trade whatever other parts you can and draft well. 

That's really the root issue.  They need to pick a lane.  Either TRULY go "all-in" and try to win a WS in Manny's last year as an Oriole, or sell off all the vets over 29 or 30 and try and rebuild.  The problem is that they'll do neither.  Pick a lane.

40 minutes ago, esmd said:

That's really the root issue.  They need to pick a lane.  Either TRULY go "all-in" and try to win a WS in Manny's last year as an Oriole, or sell off all the vets over 29 or 30 and try and rebuild.  The problem is that they'll do neither.  Pick a lane.

This has been the (glaringly, painfully, obvious) situation for two years.  They won't get it right this year either.

Archived