What are the odds of a modest Chris Davis comeback in 2018?

Frobby

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Nice Catch 8!  (See what i did there...)

The bottom line is that we all want Davis to have a modest comeback or better.  And let's face it, the money is committed.  

Realistically, the chances are not good and the above lays out perfectly why.  Davis has a poor approach and his declining skills will only continue to erode from here.  We almost have to hope that something in his work this winter brings the aha moment and a change in approach.  

I like Chris Davis a lot.  My son wears his number and has for years.  I want nothing more than a return to the form we came to expect.

I do find this article from his "peak" to be interesting...

http://grantland.com/features/jonah-keri-baltimore-heavy-hitting-chris-davis/ 

I wonder why he got so good. Then so bad again. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On 12/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, Frobby said:

In 2017, Chris Davis batted .215/.309/.423 with 26 HR and 61 RBI and struck out in 37.2% of his plate appearances.

The three major projection systems that have published projections so far have him making a bit of a comeback in 2018:

Steamer: .227/.331/.479, 35 HR 88 RBI 34.3% K rate

ZiPS: .223/.318/.459, 31 HR 81 RBI 36.2% K rate

Marcel: .231/.330/.471, 30 HR 71 RBI 32.9% K rate

None of those projections would have us doing cartwheels, or justify a $23 mm salary, but they’d still represent a considerable improvement over last year.    What do you think — is it reasonable to hope for this level of improvement?

It's realistic to expect a better season than last year. A modest comeback would be 2016 totals: .221/.332/.459/.791, 38 HRs. Barring injury, that not only seems possible, it seems 85% probable.

I think it is within the realm of possibility to see Davis slash .240/.335/.480/.815 this year.

9 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

It's realistic to expect a better season than last year. A modest comeback would be 2016 totals: .221/.332/.459/.791, 38 HRs. Barring injury, that not only seems possible, it seems 85% probable.

I think it is within the realm of possibility to see Davis slash .240/.335/.480/.815 this year.

85% probable that he’ll return to at least 2016 levels?    I’m not as optimistic as that.   But I hope so.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:56 AM, wildcard said:

Davis from Mlb Hot Stove on concentrating of hitting earlier in the count.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/video/davis-on-reducing-strikeouts/c-1871887483

Glad to see he has a humble attitude and wants to work on his game. I agree he needs to be more aggressive early in the count. If he can get back to something like he was in 2015-16, I would be more than happy with that. He just needs to avoid those long stretches where he's an automatic out.

2 hours ago, Ripken said:

He looks terrible this spring.  I think it's unlikely he ever OPS's 800 again.  Such a brutal contract.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He looks pretty good honestly, I think. I'm fairly optimistic.

He looks a lot like 2016 Chris Davis.   Spring stats are .214/.313/.464, one strikeout every 3.2 PA.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He looks a lot like 2016 Chris Davis.   Spring stats are .214/.313/.464, one strikeout every 3.2 PA.

Not really concerned about the stats. It's spring training. He looks like he's swinging at pitches he should be swinging at mostly. More aggressive.

37 minutes ago, interloper said:

Not really concerned about the stats. It's spring training. He looks like he's swinging at pitches he should be swinging at mostly. More aggressive.

I don't know but I am not going to hold my breath on that possibility.

Archived