The Yankees Know The Orioles Want Two Starters

section18

4 minutes ago, theobird said:

Honestly, I would trade Machado to the Yankee's for Ellsbury, Adams, Sheffield, Andujar and Cash. Make Ellsbuy's deal palatable in terms of $, and I am in on this deal.

Same, though I would imagine the Orioles will demand Montgomery as well to fill out their 2018 rotation.  Maybe take less money back and Yankees would include Montgomery.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees aren't going to clear out their farm system just to get rid of Ellsbury. They're going to try and tack him onto a normal trade offer and offer to pick up some of his salary (like they did with Stanton), and the other team will inevitably decline. There's no realistic scenario where it makes sense for the Orioles to trade for Ellsbury. And even if there was, short of the Yankees threatening to bench him there's no incentive for him to approve a trade to a team like Baltimore. 

The only trade scenario where it "might" make sense for the Orioles to consider Ellsbury is if the trade involves C.Davis. For context, Ellsbury's is set to make around $21M thru 2022 and Davis is set to make $17M thru 2021. If the Yankee's were willing to throw in a prospect (to offset the age difference) that trade might actually make sense for both teams. The Yankees have a void at 1B (Bird is unproven) and the Oriole's could shift Trumbo to 1B. No question Ellsbury on the downside of his career, but he'd be the best leadoff hitter the team's had in years. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

The Yankees aren't going to clear out their farm system just to get rid of Ellsbury. They're going to try and tack him onto a normal trade offer and offer to pick up some of his salary (like they did with Stanton), and the other team will inevitably decline. There's no realistic scenario where it makes sense for the Orioles to trade for Ellsbury. And even if there was, short of the Yankees threatening to bench him there's no incentive for him to approve a trade to a team like Baltimore. 

The only trade scenario where it "might" make sense for the Orioles to consider Ellsbury is if the trade involves C.Davis. For context, Ellsbury's is set to make around $21M thru 2022 and Davis is set to make $17M thru 2021. If the Yankee's were willing to throw in a prospect (to offset the age difference) that trade might actually make sense for both teams. The Yankees have a void at 1B (Bird is unproven) and the Oriole's could shift Trumbo to 1B. No question Ellsbury on the downside of his career, but he'd be the best leadoff hitter the team's had in years. 

Whoops. I flipped those contract years. Ellsbury's contract expires in 2021 and Davis' contract expires in 2022. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The Yankees aren't going to clear out their farm system just to get rid of Ellsbury.

Absolutely agree.  Teams don't do that.  Especially a team like the Yankees who could, conceivably, afford to DFA him and just eat the loss.

While this is all fun to banter about and speculate on...there's a minimal chance that anything happens.

Manny starts this season as an Oriole, IMO.  Dan gets paralysis by analysis at the deadline, whines that the returns weren't big enough and Manny walks at the end of the season.

That's how I see it going down.

Maybe hope that Manny hops teams every few years so he goes into the HoF as an Oriole, but doubtful.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

While this is all fun to banter about and speculate on...there's a minimal chance that anything happens.

Manny starts this season as an Oriole, IMO.  Dan gets paralysis by analysis at the deadline, whines that the returns weren't big enough and Manny walks at the end of the season.

Maybe hope that Manny hops teams every few years so he goes into the HoF as an Oriole, but doubtful.

Very likely.  Though I won't blame Dan. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep, almost positive this happens.  O's don't make playoffs, but hold on to Machado at the deadline to "make a run", lose him for peanuts, and then make excuses to cover up how stupid it was not to trade him.

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Whoops. I flipped those contract years. Ellsbury's contract expires in 2021 and Davis' contract expires in 2022. 

Davis' contract is far worse than Ellsbury's.  I can't imagine the Yankees would even consider taking on Davis' contract.  

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Manny and Trumbo for Ellsbury, Robertson, Adams, Andujar, Sheffield and Cash.  Yankees buy out Ellsbury no trade clause.

I'm content with a Manny and Trumbo for Ellsbury, Adams, Montgomery and Andujar deal. That more than balances out the deal. If i could squeeze out another piece, Frazier would be my add. Still, even just the four noted would be enough for me to pull the trigger provided there's something to balance out the money in Ellsbury's final year. I know that Ellsbury wants to stay in New York, but you'd have to imagine he eventually sees the writing on the wall and realizes that if he wants to prolong his career, he'll go where there's playing time.

Archived