Orioles Interested in Carlos Gonzalez?

wildbillhiccup

Cargo was difficult to watch at the plate in 2017.  And predictable.  If you think Adam Jones has a problem with the slider low and away, imagine having his mirror image from the left side of the plate... He doesn't exhibit the patience to lay off the outside junk these days, and going on nothing but my own eyes (my son and I watch a lot of Rockies baseball), he has also noticeably lost his ability to turn on the inside heater.  Balls he would deposit in the RF stands 2-3 years ago, now wind up as fist shots to the second baseman.  His swing is long and heavily dependent on timing.  When it works, he can still crush the ball, and it's as sweet as any swing in the game.  But it seems to me like he's lost some bat speed, and a whole lot of confidence.  He hit much better the final two months of the season, and maybe there were nagging injuries that plagued him in the earlier part of the season.  Still has a good arm, but I think marginal wheels (I have not researched his defensive metrics from last season).  It's possible that a change of scenery is what Cargo needs, and as much as I hate to admit it, I can see DD taking a flyer on Cargo if he's still around in late February... but my instincts tell me the Os should stay away!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, for what it’s worth...

Steamer projects Cargo for a 101 wRC+ 

Steamer projects Austin Hays for a  102 wRC+ 

Steamer projects Anthony Santander for a 97 wRC+

ZiPS projects Cargo for an 88 wRC+

ZiPS projects Hays for a 103 wRC+

ZiPS projects Santander for a 93 wRC+

wRC+ is a context neutral metric that tries to assess total value with the bat. It corrects for the Coors field environment among other things.

Cargo is also poor defensively which isn’t considered by the numbers above.

Edit: 100 is league average for wRC+ and higher is better.

2 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

Why is Jones/Mancini/Hays/Santander/Rickard/Stewart/Brugman not enough??

We have THREE open spots in the rotation.

Because it's a game of quality not quantity. Jones and Mancini are the only two you named with any sort of Major League success.

37 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Hey, for what it’s worth...

Steamer projects Cargo for a 101 wRC+ 

Steamer projects Austin Hays for a  102 wRC+ 

Steamer projects Anthony Santander for a 97 wRC+

ZiPS projects Cargo for an 88 wRC+

ZiPS projects Hays for a 103 wRC+

ZiPS projects Santander for a 93 wRC+

wRC+ is a context neutral metric that tries to assess total value with the bat. It corrects for the Coors field environment among other things.

Cargo is also poor defensively which isn’t consider the numbers above.

Edit: 100 is league average for wRC+ and higher is better.

For comparison, what are the predictions for Granderson and Jay?

52 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Better than in Colorado?  It's not worth it to block Hays.  

For a single season? It's definitely worth it. Hayes still needs to force his way onto the club. Maybe this year if he does well enough he can come up and platoon with Gonzalez after Santander can be sent down. If he does well then you keep a spot open for him in 2019. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

For a single season? It's definitely worth it. Hayes still needs to force his way onto the club. Maybe this year if he does well enough he can come up and platoon with Gonzalez after Santander can be sent down. If he does well then you keep a spot open for him in 2019. 

I am not a fan of signing declining players who have benefited from playing half their games in Coors.   CarGo has a career .735 road OPS, .606 last year.    I’m not going to say he’d be the second coming of Garrett Atkins, but I really don’t care to find out.    

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

Why?

Do you think he makes this a playoff team?

You think they can tag him with a QO after the season?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am not a fan of signing declining players who have benefited from playing half their games in Coors.   CarGo has a career .735 road OPS, .606 last year.    I’m not going to say he’d be the second coming of Garrett Atkins, but I really don’t care to find out.    

I think it's worth a one year contract to find out. I'd prefer Granderson or even Jon Jay but they will likely demand more than a one year deal and I don't want to see the OF clogged up.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

Do you think he makes this a playoff team?

You think they can tag him with a QO after the season?

No, this is not a playoff team without pitching. They're not rebuilding and they're not spending on bigger name free agents. I would be okay with rolling the dice on Gonzalez only if it's a one year deal. I don't expect a QO, maybe trade him at the deadline if he is having an okay year. But no, Gonzalez does not make this a playoff team. 

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

No, this is not a playoff team without pitching. They're not rebuilding and they're not spending on bigger name free agents. I would be okay with rolling the dice on Gonzalez only if it's a one year deal. I don't expect a QO, maybe trade him at the deadline if he is having an okay year. But no, Gonzalez does not make this a playoff team. 

I just don't see the point.

Frankly it reminds me of the Dark Days and names like Payton and Millar.

Just because Dan can get someone to take his money doesn't mean he should.

Archived