MGon Signs with ChiSox

Rene88

34 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Dear God at not topping 1/4.67 when you have 3 rotation spots to fill.

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And who is to say that Gonzo would have jumped at 1/5?  Maybe he was comfortable in Chicago?  Maybe he has hard feelings toward the O's?

I see folks do this every year.  Just because player A signed with team B it doesn't mean the O's could have signed him for X+1 dollars.

So, I dont know that I think Miggy was a move the O's needed to do here.  But I have a hard time watching a viable, formerly successful, starting pitcher sign for 5MM without at least trying.  Hell, I would have offered .5 with a 15 MM potential based on incentives.  Sort of a pillow AND a carrot deal.  

But honestly, more frustrating emotionally than anything else...

Simply not what is needed here...of course the needs are pretty extensive...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

So, I dont know that I think Miggy was a move the O's needed to do here.  But I have a hard time watching a viable, formerly successful, starting pitcher sign for 5MM without at least trying.  Hell, I would have offered .5 with a 15 MM potential based on incentives.  Sort of a pillow AND a carrot deal.  

But honestly, more frustrating emotionally than anything else...

Simply not what is needed here...of course the needs are pretty extensive...

Man I hate defending this front office.

We don't know that they didn't try.  (Unless I missed something, did I miss something?)

Dan the Sloth let's another slip away.

I wasn't crazy about signing Miggy, he'd probably be slightly better than what we have but at least it would have shown an interest in trying to find a good value on the open market.

I've defended Dan in the past.  I've felt that this fanbase, at times, is pretty harsh to a guy that's presided over winning baseball after we were so starved for it for such a long time.  

I can't take it anymore though, these offseasons are killing me.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We don't know that they didn't try.  (Unless I missed something, did I miss something?)

Well if you hate defending it....don't. :)

You're right, we don't know that they didn't try.  But in this day and age it seems that most things get reported if a team is circling around a player in FA or a trade.  Yeah, if Dan called Miggy's agent and the agent said "not interested," that quick conversation probably doesn't get reported.

But if the team is trying to negotiate with Miggy, hammer out a deal and talks are ongoing, I think that gets picked up and we'd know.  That didn't happen here so I think we're 90% probably correct in saying that either Miggy wasn't interested in all and let it be known from the jump or the O's didn't try.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I  am with you and I agree.  I think in spite of all the things we complain about the FO has done a good job.

But in this case the reports from Encina state that the O's requested medicals and never made any offer.  

Again, I support not signing Miggy for 4-5MM but I would have at least been willing to offer a crap contract with some monster incentives.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Never made an offer per Ed Encina.Just asked for his medicals. 

I didn't want Miggy but soon they might get further in the dumpster. 

Come on...Miggy had a really good run here and he does have some upside...but he is NOT top of the heap here and we really shouldn't try to make it such.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless Miggy refused to send his medicals the O's should have made some attempt.  Ain't much out there.

That's not really fair is it?  There is no reporting that said medicals were not provided just that they were requested.   I would most certainly agree that if they were not provided there would not need to be an offer, but that is a pretty big leap and I would still say that my offer of:

Minimum Salary with up to 15 MM of incentives works.  With or without medicals...but without em, I wouldn't make an offer on principle.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

That's not really fair is it?  There is no reporting that said medicals were not provided just that they were requested.   I would most certainly agree that if they were not provided there would not need to be an offer, but that is a pretty big leap and I would still say that my offer of:

Minimum Salary with up to 15 MM of incentives works.  With or without medicals...but without em, I wouldn't make an offer on principle.

I said unless.  I didn't suggest that was actually the case.  I think it is rather unlikely to be the case. 

But it is a possibility.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if you hate defending it....don't. :)

You're right, we don't know that they didn't try.  But in this day and age it seems that most things get reported if a team is circling around a player in FA or a trade.  Yeah, if Dan called Miggy's agent and the agent said "not interested," that quick conversation probably doesn't get reported.

But if the team is trying to negotiate with Miggy, hammer out a deal and talks are ongoing, I think that gets picked up and we'd know.  That didn't happen here so I think we're 90% probably correct in saying that either Miggy wasn't interested in all and let it be known from the jump or the O's didn't try.  

Maybe he did not want to come back after we released him and he had to work his way back to the majors. Maybe he knows that Camden Yards does not show his good side.  I don't know.

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Maybe he did not want to come back after we released him and he had to work his way back to the majors. Maybe he knows that Camden Yards does not show his good side.  I don't know.

Maybe Dan didn’t want to admit he made a mistake and never explored it at all.  Maybe Buck agreed that Miggy was toast back that spring  and didn’t push Dan to send him on to Norfolk and doesn’t want Miggy back.    These are just as likely as Miggy being the one who didn’t want to return 

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Who would you offer $15 million in incentives?

Archived