Manny ranked the no. 8 3B “right now” by MLB Network; Beckham ranked no. 10 SS

Frobby

While the comments in this thread are focusing on Manny, what about Beckham being the no. 10 SS?    If that ranking has merit, (1) it makes little sense to move Manny to SS, and (2) that trade Duquette made looks pretty darned good, though I do like Tobias Myers.   

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Rendon is very underrated.

I've always been high on Rendon, but he made some interesting changes in 2017.  He walked more than ever, he struck out less than ever, all while hitting the ball in the air more than ever.  He's great defensively as well.

18 minutes ago, theobird said:

Manny is a really good player who is going to get massively overpaid. I would like to take what his trade value is right now, whatever that is, and let him sign for the highest bidder next year. 

That's what I was thinking.  He's good, and a star, but my initial question, "is he overrated?" is an interesting debate.  And his real value vs. perceived value will drive discussion about a trade if it is pulled off.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

While the comments in this thread are focusing on Manny, what about Beckham being the no. 10 SS?    If that ranking has merit, (1) it makes little sense to move Manny to SS, and (2) that trade Duquette made looks pretty darned good, though I do like Tobias Myers.   

I hope he ends up being the answer at SS, but the potential for a 30 error season scares me

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I hope he ends up being the answer at SS, but the potential for a 30 error season scares me

Beckham has started 163 games at SS, and has made 24 errors.    That’s about what I’d expect from him this year if he plays the full season at SS, though I hope he’d gain some steadiness with experience.    He’s not Hardy and he’s not going to be.    But his range and arm strength allow him to be an average defensive SS while making an above average number of errors.     If he hits, that’ll play.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It was a good trade for the Orioles even if Beckham was only the player he showed in Tampa, you just don't get controllable regulars (or at least a regular for a bad team) for a short season pitcher without much pedigree 1 for 1. It just doesn't happen.

For all the emphasis some put on acquiring "good teammates", I kind of like the idea of acquiring guys who are cheaply available due to personality clashes/issues.  Talent is talent, and I don't believe there are many "bad guys", just bad situations.  A fresh start can be a magical thing.

Manny is a guy that I think thrives when team is in it.  He was turning last season around and would have finished with a decent year if we stayed in it imo.  We fell out and he seemed to just be going through motions,  In 2015 the same thing happened he has good year and faultered as the Orioles got farther out.  Now you can argue we fell out of it because he struggled.   He is just an emotional player and I think being young he doesn't have the full throttle down at times.  

53 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Manny is a guy that I think thrives when team is in it.  He was turning last season around and would have finished with a decent year if we stayed in it imo.  We fell out and he seemed to just be going through motions,  In 2015 the same thing happened he has good year and faultered as the Orioles got farther out.  Now you can argue we fell out of it because he struggled.   He is just an emotional player and I think being young he doesn't have the full throttle down at times.  

The Orioles started off hot without Manny producing. They hit the wall...becauae Manny still wasn't producing.

What worries me the most about giving Manny a huge long-term deal isn't his health. It's will he mail it in once he gets that deal. Just my opinion.

Archived