Are There Three Internal SP Candidates

Eddie_Ripken

http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1312253483&topic_id=&sid=milb&tcid=vpp_copy_1312253483&v=3

So this is a good example of what I'm talking about with Cortes.  In this video he strikes Rafael Devers out looking.

Pitch 1: Deliberate delivery, high 3/4 arm slot, fastball

Pitch 2: Little quicker to the plate, low 3/4 slot, curveball

Pitch 3: Deliberate delivery, high 3/4 arm slot, fastball

Pitch 4: sidearm, step to first base, crossbody delivery, fastball

He plays with the shape and speed of his breaking ball, and manipulates the pace of his delivery in a more extreme way, just not shown in this video.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

http://www.milb.com/r/video?content_id=1312253483&topic_id=&sid=milb&tcid=vpp_copy_1312253483&v=3

So this is a good example of what I'm talking about with Cortes.  In this video he strikes Rafael Devers out looking.

Pitch 1: Deliberate delivery, high 3/4 arm slot, fastball

Pitch 2: Little quicker to the plate, low 3/4 slot, curveball

Pitch 3: Deliberate delivery, high 3/4 arm slot, fastball

Pitch 4: sidearm, step to first base, crossbody delivery, fastball

He plays with the shape and speed of his breaking ball, and manipulates the pace of his delivery in a more extreme way, just not shown in this video.

Haha, going along with what you were saying, the play-by-play man was having a hard time picking up what Cortes was throwing and how: "I'm just going to start calling the speed of each pitch." I'm worried about how Buck and his coaches are going to treat him though, since they emphasize repeatability of delivery so much. For example, that was their diagnosis of Ubaldo.

52 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Haha, going along with what you were saying, the play-by-play man was having a hard time picking up what Cortes was throwing and how: "I'm just going to start calling the speed of each pitch." I'm worried about how Buck and his coaches are going to treat him though, since they emphasize repeatability of delivery so much. For example, that was their diagnosis of Ubaldo.

I'm encouraged that they were praising him after the mini-camp. You'd have to be a fool to stop Cortes from doing his tricks. That's the majority of his game. I doubt he'd be nearly as effective without it.

26 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm encouraged that they were praising him after the mini-camp. You'd have to be a fool to stop Cortes from doing his tricks. That's the majority of his game. I doubt he'd be nearly as effective without it.

I hope it works out! But, needless to say, it wouldn't be the first time in recent years that the O's proved to be fools about a developing starting pitcher.

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Ubaldo has terrible command/control issues that are thought to be caused by his complicated mechanics and inability to repeat his delivery.    Cortes walks 2.1 batters per 9 innings and is varying his delivery on purpose.    I don’t think they’ll mess with him.    

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:17 AM, Luke-OH said:

I think it's just short of 70 innings. 

He also hasn't even seen A+ ball. He needs time, probably two more seasons since his game is reliant on being a step ahead of hitters, and I guarantee that at his age and experience he would not be ahead of MLB hitters right now.  It took half the season for him to figure out Low A hitters (he gave up a bunch of HRs in the first half).

Wells started off the season pretty doggone well.  Most of those home runs came during a whacky stretch in June. He had a run of 5 consecutive starts in which he allowed HR's.....8 total (1/2 his season total)....but 4 of the 5 games were still quality starts.  He only allowed home runs in 5 other games all season.

14 minutes ago, CP0861 said:

Wells started off the season pretty doggone well.  Most of those home runs came during a whacky stretch in June. He had a run of 5 consecutive starts in which he allowed HR's.....8 total (1/2 his season total)....but 4 of the 5 games were still quality starts.  He only allowed home runs in 5 other games all season.

I’m not anti-Wells, I like Wells. Someone was suggesting he might be a MLB starter candidate in 2018, which I was trying to throw cold water on. 

He made a legit improvement to his fastball command/strategy that allowed him to go after hitters more and avoid HR about halfway through the season. Maybe I should have said it took him half a season to dominate low A hitters. I saw some of the home runs he gave up, they weren’t fluky, the fastball just doesn’t play on the plate vs RHB.

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ubaldo has terrible command/control issues that are thought to be caused by his complicated mechanics and inability to repeat his delivery.    Cortes walks 2.1 batters per 9 innings and is varying his delivery on purpose.    I don’t think they’ll mess with him.    

Depends on his TTTP.

My money is on Cortes. All in. I just like the guy. He's left-handed, his numbers have IMPROVED at each level as he has gone up, he gets ground balls and barely walks anyone. He misses bats even though he doesn't try to. There is a reason why the Yankees left him unprotected, but I just think their system is loaded and they can afford to do it. 

5 hours ago, Snutchy said:

My money is on Cortes. All in. I just like the guy. He's left-handed, his numbers have IMPROVED at each level as he has gone up, he gets ground balls and barely walks anyone. He misses bats even though he doesn't try to. There is a reason why the Yankees left him unprotected, but I just think their system is loaded and they can afford to do it. 

I’m also enamored with this guy, or at least, the descriptions I’ve read from Luke and others.    I’m really hoping to get a look at him on one of the televised spring training games.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m also enamored with this guy, or at least, the descriptions I’ve read from Luke and others.    I’m really hoping to get a look at him on one of the televised spring training games.   

Even if he's terrible it should be interesting to watch.

Hope he works fast, what with the pitch clock looking like a certainly. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if he's terrible it should be interesting to watch.

Hope he works fast, what with the pitch clock looking like a certainly. 

Has there been any speculation as to which ML pitchers might be hurt by an [actually-enforced] pitch clock?

Archived