Thoughts on Manny @ SS and Beckham @ 3B ??

alaniee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SeaBird said:

The 3B/SS set up last season was serviceable and seemed to work well.  So why fix it?  It is to make Manny happy?  It can't be an upgrade moving Beckham to 3B. 

From 2013 to 2017 Beckham played in a total of 9 games at 3B and those were all with Tampa.  He stated at 3B in 5 of those 9 games and had 12 chances with 3 PO and 9 Assists.  Will Spring Training be his On the Job Training at 3B?  

I've seen this Tampa Bay Crap trotted out like 10 times now.

Remind me, who played 3b in Tampa the whole time Beckham was there???????

Not saying he won't need to learn on the job, but the fact that he hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't.

Too early to say if he can play 3b or can't.

1 hour ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I've seen this Tampa Bay Crap trotted out like 10 times now.

Remind me, who played 3b in Tampa the whole time Beckham was there???????

Not saying he won't need to learn on the job, but the fact that he hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't.

Too early to say if he can play 3b or can't.

The move from SS to 3B is extremely common.   Manny did it. Cal did it.   Tejada did it.   ARod did it.     To me the issue is how much better Manny will be at SS than Beckham.    He needs to be significantly better in order for this move to make sense, because we know to 99% certainty that Beckham, whether competent at 3B or not,,will be a significant downgrade from Manny at that spot.   

• 1 month later...

o

"It doesn't come down to money," Machado asserts. "I've already established myself as a player. I'm worth what I'm worth already. It doesn't matter if I'm at short or third. The transition over there is because that's where my heart is. That's what I do."

Manny Machado Fnds Comfort at Shortstop as He Prepares for His Next Big Move

(By Jerry Crasnick)

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22824186/manny-machado-finds-comfort-shortstop-prepares-next-big-move

o

It's amazing how little talk this topic has generated since they started playing spring games. The switch may work out better than many of us doom and gloomers feared. Manny seems poised to have a monster free agent year if he stays healthy. A parting 8 WAR season would be much appreciated. 

24 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Glad to hear it won't be about money with Manny.  For a second I had let myself think he would be trying to go to the highest bidder.

You're misreading his quote.  He's saying that the move to shortstop this season isn't about earning more money.  It's about his love for playing shortstop.  I can believe that.  His next contract...of course that will be all about the money!

52 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It's amazing how little talk this topic has generated since they started playing spring games. The switch may work out better than many of us doom and gloomers feared. Manny seems poised to have a monster free agent year if he stays healthy. A parting 8 WAR season would be much appreciated. 

I never doubted Machado as the better option at SS. My question is why do it if they’re not going to make a legitimate effort to sign him as a FA?

Beckham is going to be there. Why not get him as comfortable as possible at the position he’ll no doubt be playing if Manny leaves. Is he leaving?

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I never doubted Machado as the better option at SS. My question is why do it if they’re not going to make a legitimate effort to sign him as a FA?

Beckham is going to be there. Why not get him as comfortable as possible at the position he’ll no doubt be playing if Manny leaves. Is he leaving?

It's kind of a win-win-win situation if Manny has a great year at shortstop. The Orioles either ride with it to a playoff spot; or, if they're going nowhere at the deadline, trade their MVP candidate to a true contender in need of (or willing to spend for) the playoff edge Manny would represent. Manny gets to play for a winner; and Orioles finally get the two young stud starting pitchers they so desperately need.

Just now, now said:

It's kind of a win-win-win situation if Manny has a great year at shortstop. The Orioles either ride with it to a playoff spot; or, if they're going nowhere at the deadline, trade their MVP candidate to a true contender in need of (or willing to spend for) the playoff edge Manny would represent. Manny gets to play for a winner; and Orioles finally get the two young stud starting pitchers they so desperately need.

And then sign him to a record making deal in the offseason. Right? Right???

2 hours ago, now said:

You still arn't getting two young stud starting pitchers.

And that's why they will end up with a pick.

Archived