Schoop absence from Fanfest

Going Underground

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why should they pay Schoop 400K+ more than they have to?  400K here, 400K there, it adds up.

I believe with all my heart that the Orioles, other than the Angelos family, would have left Chris Davis go. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weams said:

I believe with all my heart that the Orioles, other than the Angelos family, would have left Chris Davis go. 

I believe that the great white whale of a power hitting first baseman that had escaped the franchise from the Glenn Davis hunt would not allow them to have him leave. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You assume they will win? 

No, I am just saying that just giving in and paying a player what he wants has long term financial consequences.  Word is the two sides are 200K apart.  So if the O's just gave in they are on the hook for probably 500K.  You can't just do that with every player. 

In a similar fashion the arbitration system is set up to punish teams that give players more than the league minimum in their first three years.  Would be idiotic for the O's to "reward" Mancini with a 2 million base salary for instance.

2 hours ago, weams said:

I have no opinion on this one way or the other.    I don’t enjoy speculating about the inner workings of the organization.   

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I am just saying that just giving in and paying a player what he wants has long term financial consequences.  Word is the two sides are 200K apart.  So if the O's just gave in they are on the hook for probably 500K.  You can't just do that with every player. 

In a similar fashion the arbitration system is set up to punish teams that give players more than the league minimum in their first three years.  Would be idiotic for the O's to "reward" Mancini with a 2 million base salary for instance.

I'm not saying give in and pay him the $9m he wants. I just think fighting Schoop over $200k seems petty. Especially being ok paying Britton $11m for half a season. And since I think Schoop is only here 2 more years, I don't see his case having any real long term effects. By 2020, Davis and Gausman will be the only players making over 10m a year most likely.

4 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm not saying give in and pay him the $9m he wants. I just think fighting Schoop over $200k seems petty. Especially being ok paying Britton $11m for half a season. And since I think Schoop is only here 2 more years, I don't see his case having any real long term effects. By 2020, Davis and Gausman will be the only players making over 10m a year most likely.

But it isn't 200K.  It's at least 400K, probably more.

I am also pretty confident that they are not that OK with paying Britton 11M, they just don't have a choice in the matter.

As others have stated the O's did Schoop a huge favor by not playing service time games with him.  I think it is fair for them to attempt to pay him as little as possible in arbitration, especially since generosity is punished by the arbitration system.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Jones had that meeting with PA. Had the price is right pic on his Twitter. He lobbied hard for us to keep CD. 

Now we have no money to sign AJ, Schoop or Machado. 

Jones is going to a WS contender after this year. 

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Where did you see that the two sides are $200k apart?    If that’s so, they really need to get this done, IMO.   It would be ridiculous to go to arbitration over that (though Shelby Miller did).   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Where did you see that the two sides are $200k apart?    If that’s so, they really need to get this done, IMO.   It would be ridiculous to go to arbitration over that (though Shelby Miller did).   

I don't recall where I saw it and in fact I was just using the 200K number because Dark Helmet was.

I do however remember seeing that the negotiations broke down when they were 200K apart.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't 200K.  It's at least 400K, probably more.

I am also pretty confident that they are not that OK with paying Britton 11M, they just don't have a choice in the matter.

As others have stated the O's did Schoop a huge favor by not playing service time games with him.  I think it is fair for them to attempt to pay him as little as possible in arbitration, especially since generosity is punished by the arbitration system.

You said they were $200K apart. I hadn't  heard that, just going by what you said. If so, it looks even worse on the Orioles imo.

On 2/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I don't recall where I saw it and in fact I was just using the 200K number because Dark Helmet was.

I do however remember seeing that the negotiations broke down when they were 200K apart.

You first mentioned the 200K. I didn't. 

On 1/30/2018 at 11:49 AM, LC_O's_87 said:

This was a autograph signing at a game?  While the player was under contract?

Schoop's a good guy, plays hard and is good example of playing the game the right way for young kids.. 

I just love how you all only fault the player.  It's amazing to me.  Angelos had the power to guarantee Schoop's attendance at Fanfest.  $200k increase in the offer.  Angelos decided not to do it, just like Schoop decided not to attend.

Here it is.

I do remember reading the same figure.

Schoop may have had "bad advice", but the Orioles could easily have had some "bad faith" in negotiations. I hypothesized that Schoop's absence was due to the arbitration process, and I was right. His agent didn't want the team profiting off his appearance without a salary locked in for 2018. Now obviously that hurts the fans more than anyone, so probably not a great decision by Schoop.

BUT... it really should not have gotten to this point. Schoop was the team's best offensive player last year, and one of their most durable. He's also pretty good at defense. PAY THE GUY. These bad press moments for the Orioles happen when they dick around too much, and that's what's happened. I blame the organization more than I do Schoop because, frankly, the organization has a track record of being disorganized, unnecessarily picky/cheap, and they clearly have no idea what they're doing this offseason or next year. 

Sorry, but Schoop gets the benefit of the doubt from me. Yeah, he followed some iffy advice from his agent, but that's what agents are paid to do. Maybe he considers a new agent at some point. Until then, the O's probably should make the easiest decision of an offseason filled with indecision, and just pay their star infielder what he's worth.

Archived