The Rotation

weams

On 2/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, weams said:

Even if it is BankTech International and all they are interested in is selling MASN for a profit and moving to Alberta?

So, don't criticize ownership for not having a good plan because other owners could move the team? 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, jtschrei said:

So, don't criticize ownership for not having a good plan because other owners could move the team? 

No...no...absolutely not, just a reminder that in spite of not being a fan of Peter Angelos' helm as owner of the Orioles, it's always worth remembering that he did save the Oriole franchise from a worse fate.  He literally beat out Jeff Loria.  So, yes Angelos bad, Orioles deserve better, but it could be worse, MUCH WORSE.

Loria has gutted not one but two franchises since he lost out on the Orioles.  

Jeff Loria made a corrupt deal with Bud Selig to buy his Expos with essentially a guarantee that he could buy the Marlins (with a guaranteed loan from MLB).  He then proceeded to wreck a franchise while making a Billion and change.  Seriously, read any of the articles from this google snapshot

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Loria,+Jeff&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 

and you will chuckle at how hard he has worked to one up PA for worst owner in history.  At least any honest debate of Peter Angelos has to acknowledge his solid stances on principles.  (Yes not all of his principles are shared, but even his detractors have to acknowledge the intent).  For example, without PA, 2131 never happens.  Why?  Well because baseball would have fielded games with replacement players if Angelos had not held out and the streak would have ended.  Ironically once the 230 day plus strike ended, Ripken's drive to 2131 in 95 "saved the game".

The list goes on...of course.  So yes, jtschrei, criticize ownership for not having a good baseball plan.  Just don't forget the first rule of ownership is to make money, and the results on the field don't always correspond to an owners plan to follow the first rule.  

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5585/jake-odorizzi

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Orioles, Twins, Brewers, Cubs and Yankees are among the teams that have inquired on Jake Odorizzi.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times hears that the Cardinals and Angels have also discussed Odorizzi with the Rays. We can safely cross the Cubs off the list of clubs having interest in Odorizzi after they agreed to terms with Yu Darvish, but the right-hander makes some sense as a target for the other teams. Odorizzi will make a little over $6 million in 2018 and is under team control for 2019, as well, but the quasi-rebuilding Rays would like to shed his contract. Feb 11 - 9:48 AM

Something interesting?   Jake has been very consistent on his K/9.   8.0 exactly each of the last 3 years.   

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/odorija01.shtml

7 minutes ago, murph said:

http://rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5585/jake-odorizzi

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Orioles, Twins, Brewers, Cubs and Yankees are among the teams that have inquired on Jake Odorizzi.
Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times hears that the Cardinals and Angels have also discussed Odorizzi with the Rays. We can safely cross the Cubs off the list of clubs having interest in Odorizzi after they agreed to terms with Yu Darvish, but the right-hander makes some sense as a target for the other teams. Odorizzi will make a little over $6 million in 2018 and is under team control for 2019, as well, but the quasi-rebuilding Rays would like to shed his contract. Feb 11 - 9:48 AM

Something interesting?   Jake has been very consistent on his K/9.   8.0 exactly each of the last 3 years.   

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/odorija01.shtml

Odorizzi would definitely help, but I'm very hesitant to give up controllable assets for a pitcher who only has 2 years of team control. It would only make sense as a modest part of an all-in approach, which I guess is still possible, but I'd estimate highly unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Odorizzi would definitely help, but I'm very hesitant to give up controllable assets for a pitcher who only has 2 years of team control. It would only make sense as a modest part of an all-in approach, which I guess is still possible, but I'd estimate highly unlikely.

Agreed and I so wish we knew they did definitely had a plan or direction at least....

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

They need a first baseman. Give them Trumbo and pay $7mm of his salary. Both players are controlled for two years. Need for need.

I'm not giving up givens or Mancini for odorizzi or McHugh.  I would inflate Givens value first in late inning, high leverage situations.  And given another year of good hitting I would make Mancini the first extension the Orioles inked in what feels like the last 10 years (to an arb eligible player).

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If they send Jose De Leon and Drew Strotman and Garrett Whitley along with Jake then I might think about it. 

We have plenty of OF depth, we can part with Mancini. He's basically a 1B/DH and he's not the second coming of Hank Aaron.

Archived