Where is the starter market? Where are the O's?

wildcard

On 2/11/2018 at 10:13 AM, Hank Scorpio said:

YES!!!!!!

Let’s add two mediocre pitchers and then figure out #5... then fumble our way to being 7 games out of the wild card at the break, then GO FOR IT BABY!!!!

We’ll trade Tanner Scott for some marginal rental who might add half a win, then watch Machado walk for a compensatory pick while finishing last in the division by an eyelash in a thrilling season ending loss to the Red Sox in Boston. 

Feels so real, doesn’t it?

Even if you plan on a rebuild you need guys to pitch innings.  You can't just throw guys out there who won't last past the second inning. 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cimota said:

Even if you plan on a rebuild you need guys to pitch innings.  You can't just throw guys out there who won't last past the second inning. 

Yeah, this. 

Gotta put someone out there and paying Cashner $5 million to do it this year is about as budget-friendly and low risk as you can get. Doesn't cost a pick, either. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah, this. 

Gotta put someone out there and paying Cashner $5 million to do it this year is about as budget-friendly and low risk as you can get. Doesn't cost a pick, either. 

So that's what we're settling for now? Just "putting someone out there"? Is Stockholm Syndrome for a fan base a thing? 

50 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So that's what we're settling for now? Just "putting someone out there"? Is Stockholm Syndrome for a fan base a thing? 

However it appears Garcia is guaranteed 10 million in the 2018 season. And he may well have been one of the targets that the Orioles determined to be physically unfit. 

Still plenty of guys out there.  I expect we will sign at least one and then bring Tillman back as a fifth starter candidate and have him compete in Spring Training with the Rule V's (Cortes, Mesa) and maybe Wright for the fifth starter spot. 

One of Vargas, Garza, Volquez, Nolasco, maybe Dickey.........will fill out our rotation.  

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Still plenty of guys out there.  I expect we will sign at least one and then bring Tillman back as a fifth starter candidate and have him compete in Spring Training with the Rule V's (Cortes, Mesa) and maybe Wright for the fifth starter spot. 

One of Vargas, Garza, Volquez, Nolasco, maybe Dickey.........will fill out our rotation.  

Why would you want Garza or Volquez fill out our rotation?

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

They wouldn’t be my picks necessarily but that’s the level of talent I see them acquring. We won’t be in on the next tier guys.

Neither one is likely to pitch in 2018 due to injuries.  Yeah, if they sign a pitcher who had TJS in August and expect him to contribute in 2018, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Garza has a torn labrum that requires surgery.  Not sure he's had it yet.

Both would be pretty poor signs.

10 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Vargas and Tillman look like the targets right now.   Jays signed Garcia  and Mets according to Alderson think they may have enough starting pitching and are waiting to see how their in house guys do in ST.

Phillies and Twins may be the competition.

Archived