The Athletic

Can_of_corn

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Reading that whole article, I don’t have a problem with what The Athletic is trying to do.    What about these parts?

Because sports aren't what is important in news.  And second these guys are getting paid a lot because of venture capital.  Once they stop expanding they will be judged as a mature business that doesn't make money. Then the money will dry up and they will either have to pay low wages for a lot of work or go out of business. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Reading that whole article, I don’t have a problem with what The Athletic is trying to do.    What about these parts?

What happens if they succeed?  They win and the writers' contracts expire.  What kind of pay cut are these guys going to see once the competition for their services is gone?  How many will just be let go?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What happens if they succeed?  They win and the writers' contracts expire.  What kind of pay cut are these guys going to see once the competition for their services is gone?  How many will just be let go?

That was happening already.    I don’t see The Athletic as causing the decline of newspapers, I see them as a reaction to it.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That was happening already.    I don’t see The Athletic as causing the decline of newspapers, I see them as a reaction to it.  

I agree that they aren't causing it.

I do think they are causing a situation to come to pass that will be bad for everyone involved that isn't them (to include their talent).  I also find their pro-china stance repugnant.