Roch: There’s a growing sense that the Orioles are close to finding a veteran starting pitcher."

weams

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I remember back during DD's first offseason, Roch made a post around this time that the O's were expected to announce a trade soon.  And speculation went rampant over who was going, who might be coming back, and all sorts of rumors.

The guy coming back ended up being Dana Eveland.  

And I remember people saying (myself included I think) that no, that can't be what he was talking about, that's not even worth making a post about.  Surely something bigger was in the works than a minor leaguer for Dana Eveland.  But then Roch confirmed, yes, that was the trade he was talking about.

Which is a long way of saying, forgive me if I don't get too interested over this one :)

Yup i remember it being huge news leading up to it, and DD saying we are very close to making a trade. Acting like we were getting some cy young winner

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember back during DD's first offseason, Roch made a post around this time that the O's were expected to announce a trade soon.  And speculation went rampant over who was going, who might be coming back, and all sorts of rumors.

And I remember people saying (myself included I think) that no, that can't be what he was talking about, that's not even worth making a post about.  Surely something bigger was in the works than a minor leaguer for Dana Eveland.  But then Roch confirmed, yes, that was the trade he was talking about.

Which is a long way of saying, forgive me if I don't get too interested over this one :)

Except it wasn't around this time. It was during the winter meetings if I'm not mistaken...I was hoping for so much more.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

The complaints about signing Tillman are
1. MLB contract
2. Guaranteed rotation spot
3. Guaranteed salary of $6MM or more

I don't think anyone would be complaining if they sign Tillman to a minor league deal.

Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to a Major League deal for him at this point, but that last part is the biggest issue for me. A low base Major League deal with heavy incentives is perfect. I would even be fine with a "near" guaranteed rotation spot. Essentially a "it's yours to lose" scenario. I'm just opposed to the idea of giving him a large base amount and then the team being unwilling to push him to the bullpen or DFA him if he's not performing by mid-May.

That trade was made at the Winter Meetings.    I think it was Dan’s first trade.    

The O’s picked Ryan Flaherty in the Rule 5 draft that same day.    Blockbuster day!

2 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to a Major League deal for him at this point, but that last part is the biggest issue for me. A low base Major League deal with heavy incentives is perfect. I would even be fine with a "near" guaranteed rotation spot. Essentially a "it's yours to lose" scenario. I'm just opposed to the idea of giving him a large base amount and then the team being unwilling to push him to the bullpen or DFA him if he's not performing by mid-May.

Right, they can give him $6MM in incentives for 180 IPs for all I care. They don't adjust to sunk costs well, which is why I want the base salary to be ~$1MM only.

I'm okay with Tillman.  I like Tillman, and I really hope he's healthy and able to return to form.  If he does it here, all the better.  But it can't be for anything other than a possible 5th starter.  They still need two other guys besides Tillman.  If it's just Tillman, or even Tillman and one other guy, they're setting themselves up for failure.  My biggest fear is that they'll continue to suffer from paralysis and they'll bring in no one.  Get ready for Gausman, Bundy, Wright, Cortes, and Castro as your rotation.

The Orioles could sign one of Cobb/Lynn, Vargas, and Tillman and Jon Jay and still be below the payroll last year. Maybe even see if Jonathan Lucroy will sign a 1 year deal at C (since offensive players have had luck building up their value here). And call it an off-season.

Archived