Britton: Most haven't even been approached to come back, don't know where the org. sees itself next year

interloper

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

A few years ago I thought that the sale would happen after this year.  The Orioles didn't have much on the books, they were reticent to give anything past a three year deal and they werent pursuing extensions.  That was before Davis and Trumbo signed their current deals.

I still think the sale happens after this year, and although the right thing to do is start a rebuild I think that's not how the Angelos' want their last year going down.

There is absolutely nothing that would suggest a sale is happening. Only the uncertain status of the FO and Buck and a few good players. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

My question is why Angelos cares about the lame duck status. Does he really care that much about letting a new GM/manager construct their own team that he would just punt on this season? Without getting anything in return for the players he's paying? Or without generating excitement by adding to the team to increase ticket sales this year?

It doesn't make SENSE. 

They've always been operating this way though. Its just looks worse because Manny is leaving .

3 hours ago, interloper said:

OR

They're just really this bad at running a baseball team.

That's been pretty obvious for a long time. We've won recently in spite of Angelos. This organization will always be hamstrung by the restrictions and weirdness that is Peter Angelos's ownership style. I guarantee if you created a Yes or No poll asking if people would like Angelos to sell the team, 99% of members here would vote Yes.

12 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

That's been pretty obvious for a long time. We've won recently in spite of Angelos. This organization will always be hamstrung by the restrictions and weirdness that is Peter Angelos's ownership style. I guarantee if you created a Yes or No poll asking if people would like Angelos to sell the team, 99% of members here would vote Yes.

I wouldn't . Be careful what you wish for. If there's one thing PA has been strong on it's keeping the team for BAL. I don't see him selling. He see's his role as a steward ship for the city. Sell it to somebody else it could be Loria II.

48 minutes ago, weams said:

MLB will not approve him. Why would he be interested in keeping a team in Baltimore?  How does this help anything?

I propose Jeff Bezos.   He’s got nothing better to do with a tiny fraction of his money.    

1 hour ago, Fan4Life said:

I think it's 85-90% ownership. What makes me lean that way is that while the names change within the organization, GM's or Front Office personnel (The Duquette brothers, Andy etc), Coaches and Managers (too many to post), we see more or less than same routine played out year after year. The only commonality that could tie it all together is ownership.

Ownership is partially at fault here, but 85-90%? That is way too high. Ownership doesn't decree sacrificing the number of draft picks that Duquette has given away like candy and picking up guys like Ubaldo or injured guys like Gallardo. :shrug:

The only thing that really concerns me is not extending Buck.   I can  see good reasons for not extending Manny, Jones, Britton, and Britton.   Its too early to say they will not extend Schoop.  No extension yet for Duquette is also understandable.  

I don't know that any of it has to do with selling the team. It could but  then again in might not.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

The only thing that really concerns me is not extending Buck.   I can  see good reasons for not extending Manny, Jones, Britton, and Britton.   Its too early to say they will not extend Schoop.  No extension yet for Duquette is also understandable.  

I don't know that any of it has to do with selling the team. It could but  then again in might not.

But Buck might not want to stick around for a rebuild.

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I propose Jeff Bezos.   He’s got nothing better to do with a tiny fraction of his money.    

I agree. And he actually has a very slight connection to the area!. We would get good press in Washington for certain.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I wouldn't . Be careful what you wish for. If there's one thing PA has been strong on it's keeping the team for BAL. I don't see him selling. He see's his role as a steward ship for the city. Sell it to somebody else it could be Loria II.

I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

That yes no poll would have the explanation that the new owner could be anyone. With any agenda. With any debt load and may shrink the payroll to 60 million dollars until Baltimore decides to draw 3 million fans. Or they/it/them move the team. To wherever. 

The new owner might be Ubaldo himself!

4 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ownership is partially at fault here, but 85-90%? That is way too high. Ownership doesn't decree sacrificing the number of draft picks that Duquette has given away like candy and picking up guys like Ubaldo or injured guys like Gallardo. :shrug:

Yeah perhaps... I don't fault ownership for every bad move, but I do think the environment they create greases the wheels for bad moves. But I suppose I was focused on the off season in my comment with regards to the dumpster diving mentality we go through year after year. And having had several different GM's and managers and coaches over the years yet yielding the same disfunction seems to point to the same issue.

Archived