Cashner signing

jcaponio

On 2/19/2018 at 12:27 PM, cimota said:

Well in FIP singles don't even count.  You could give 19 straight singles and doubles and then strike out the 20th guy and you would be perfect.   

Well with ERA Trumbo's idea of outfield defense doesn't even count.  You could induce 19 lazy fly balls to the wall in right field that Trumbo would play into singles and doubles and it would all count against you.  (goodness knows they won't be considered errors)

No system is perfect, FIP does a pretty good job of doing what it is designed to do.  The problem is when folks claim it does something it isn't meant to do.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has anyone seen any reporting on the details of Cashner’s incentives?    Some poster wrote that the incentives are deferred, but I haven’t read any actual reports of that, nor have I heard what thresholds Cashner needs to meet to earn the incentives.    

Spotrac has this:

Andrew Cashner signed a 2 year / $16,000,000 contract with the Baltimore Orioles, including a $3,000,000 signing bonus, $16,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $8,000,000. In 2018, Cashner will earn a base salary of $5,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,500,000.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Has anyone seen any reporting on the details of Cashner’s incentives?    Some poster wrote that the incentives are deferred, but I haven’t read any actual reports of that, nor have I heard what thresholds Cashner needs to meet to earn the incentives.    

I found what looks to be a detailed breakdown.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article200337564.html

Cashner's deal that could be worth $41 million over three seasons if he pitches 200 innings annually. He gets a $3 million signing bonus, payable in equal installments each Jan. 15 from 2020 through 2021.

Cashner has salaries of $5 million this season and $8 million in 2019, and there is a $10 million option for 2020 that would become guaranteed if he pitches 340 innings combined in the next two seasons. If he reaches 360 innings, it would become a player option.

He can make $5 million in performance bonuses each year.

There are $1,525,000 per season in bonuses based on starts: $250,000 each for 10 and 15, $625,000 for 20 and $400,000 for 30.

Cashner also can make $3,475,000 each year based on innings: $250,000 each for 110 and 120, $275,000 for 130, $350,000 for 140, $750,000 for 150 and $400,000 apiece for 170, 180, 190 and 200.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Spotrac has this:

found this in the post:

Cashner’s deal that could be worth $41 million over three seasons if he pitches 200 innings annually. He gets a $3 million signing bonus, payable in equal installments each Jan. 15 from 2020 through 2021.

Cashner has salaries of $5 million this season and $8 million in 2019, and there is a $10 million option for 2020 that would become guaranteed if he pitches 340 innings combined in the next two seasons. If he reaches 360 innings, it would become a player option.

He can make $5 million in performance bonuses each year.

There are $1,525,000 per season in bonuses based on starts: $250,000 each for 10 and 15, $625,000 for 20 and $400,000 for 30.

Cashner also can make $3,475,000 each year based on innings: $250,000 each for 110 and 120, $275,000 for 130, $350,000 for 140, $750,000 for 150 and $400,000 apiece for 170, 180, 190 and 200.

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:27 PM, cimota said:

Well in FIP singles don't even count.  You could give 19 straight singles and doubles and then strike out the 20th guy and you would be perfect.   

With ERA you could give up 19 straight stinging line drives that happen to be caught, and strike out the 20th guy and you would be perfect.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

With ERA you could give up 19 straight stinging line drives that happen to be caught, and strike out the 20th guy and you would be perfect.

Yeah and which would you rather have happen?   FIP is for people who failed at logic.