Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 24fps said:

From the Portland Press Herald - June 24, 2016...

I am not sure they have the right figure:  (Then again, maybe wiki isn't right)

Justice Alexander filed a 57-page ruling on April 19, 2013, stating that Bailey "was almost fit to practice law, except for an outstanding tax debt of nearly $2 million".[55] Bailey was allowed to move for reconsideration of the decision "if [he] offer[ed] a plan to repay the nearly $2 million he owes in back taxes to the federal government".[55] Initially, the government had claimed that Bailey owed $4 million in back taxes. However, representing himself before the tax court, Bailey was successful in having the amount owed reduced to $2 million.

Reminds me of the white chicks movie.

MC Hammer broke, or Martha Stewart broke. :)

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

So we have two pieces of information to go on at the moment:

1. Duquette quoted as saying they're still looking to add starting pitching to the roster.

2. Roch saying they're out on the big 3.

I said last week that the 4th and 5th pitchers will be Tillman and a Rule 5 guy. Whether it's a Rule 5 guy or it's Castro (with a R5 guy taking his bullpen spot) is semantics, but as the commercial says, it's happening, sweetheart.

15 minutes ago, cimota said:

Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson got involved in negotiations, as he did with Andrew Cashner. Manager Buck Showalter also reached out, from what I’ve heard, making it a team effort to retain Tillman.

The Orioles checked on Jake Arrieta, Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb, determined that there wasn’t a financial match and moved on from the trio.

To me it sounds like Brady called them as there is no mention of DD in any of the negotiations.  I think DD is pretty much out of the loop these days. 

To me, it says exactly what it says, which is that Brady participated in the Tillman negotiations.   It says nothing about him being involved in the other three.    And mind you, I’m not saying he wasn’t, but there’s been no reporting by Roch that he was, which is what your post said.    

And by the way, Roch saying Brady “got involved” in the Tillman negotiations doesn’t tell me that DD was out of the loop.   I’m not buying the “Brady is the de facto GM” line of thinking just because DD delegates certain tasks to him. We do know that Tillman has a relationship with Brady, because he used to work out with him in California in the winter.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, it says exactly what it says, which is that Brady participated in the Tillman negotiations.   It says nothing about him being involved in the other three.    And mind you, I’m not saying he wasn’t, but there’s been no reporting by Roch that he was, which is what your post said.    

And by the way, Roch saying Brady “got involved” in the Tillman negotiations doesn’t tell me that DD was out of the loop.   I’m not buying the “Brady is the de facto GM” line of thinking just because DD delegates certain tasks to him. We do know that Tillman has a relationship with Brady, because he used to work out with him in California in the winter.

Also, that Brady "got involved" in negotiations is much different than "led negotiations" or "was instrumental in negotiations", which is the role of a GM. He offered his two cents just like Buck did. Which is not a throw-away piece of information. It shows the stature he has in this organization. But it's also certainly not de facto GM.

5 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I said last week that the 4th and 5th pitchers will be Tillman and a Rule 5 guy. Whether it's a Rule 5 guy or it's Castro (with a R5 guy taking his bullpen spot) is semantics, but as the commercial says, it's happening, sweetheart.

I think Cortes gets the SP, but it could very well be Castro.

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Also, that Brady "got involved" in negotiations is much different than "led negotiations" or "was instrumental in negotiations", which is the role of a GM. He offered his two cents just like Buck did. Which is not a throw-away piece of information. It shows the stature he has in this organization. But it's also certainly not de facto GM.

It is interesting, however, that Roch has reported on Brady’s role with various player negotiations on several occasions now.    Who’s giving him that information, and why?   Usually we don’t hear how the sausage gets made.   

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think Cortes gets the SP, but it could very well be Castro.

Is Cortes one of the R5 guys? Sorry, I have not had the same level of interest this off season as I have in the past.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out. We've all seen this low-budget movie before. Unless something completely unforeseen presents itself to DD at the 11th hour ala Nelson Cruz for a coke and a smile, we are not going to get an impact player. If anything, we'll overpay for a really bad player, but we wont' market value for a good one.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It is interesting, however, that Roch has reported on Brady’s role with various player negotiations on several occasions now.    Who’s giving him that information, and why?   Usually we don’t hear how the sausage gets made.   

Yeah, which is why I said it's not a throw-away tidbit. I'm not convinced that we are hurdling towards Brady Anderson being the next GM of the Baltimore Orioles, but I'm not going to rule it out now, either.

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Yeah, which is why I said it's not a throw-away tidbit. I'm not convinced that we are hurdling towards Brady Anderson being the next GM of the Baltimore Orioles, but I'm not going to rule it out now, either.

We’re on the same page.   

2 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Is Cortes one of the R5 guys? Sorry, I have not had the same level of interest this off season as I have in the past.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure these things out. We've all seen this low-budget movie before. Unless something completely unforeseen presents itself to DD at the 11th hour ala Nelson Cruz for a coke and a smile, we are not going to get an impact player. If anything, we'll overpay for a really bad player, but we wont' market value for a good one.

Cortes and Mesa (Jose's son) are both rule 5 guys.

Cortes is a lefty and most likely able to step into starting pitching role. He was a on a very rich and deep Yankees roster that could only protect 40 men.

Cortes appears to be a control pitcher and good K/9 ratio and able to keep the ball on the ground.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He has also said about 10 times they checked on Vargas medicals.  It is his way of saying Vargas failed the  Orioles physical.  

15 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Could be, but the fact is Dan will most likely find another starting pitcher, as he said. That might just be another Ynoa type minor leaguer, but just saying.

11 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

He has mentioned it with Cashner serveral times and now with Tillman.  He hasn't said anything about DD and DD has had a low profile recently.

Archived