Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, wildcard said:

It was after the season ended.

So?

Are you saying that Angelos didn't know it was coming?

For the record I am in the camp that the team is supporting the law firm.  If anyone has financial data on the law-firm I'd love to see it.  Last thing I read was years ago and it said that they were cutting back.  Well that and a piece about how asbestos cases might be handled in the future.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless ownership is funneling large amounts of money into the law firm they have the money.  But there is no indication that they will let profits dip that much.

How low are they about to go? 

$50MM off books after this year- Jones, Manny, Britton, Brach 

$22MM at least off books after 2019-O’Day, Trumbo. Add more with Cashner.

Arb eligible players are

Schoop who is only here through 19

Joseph 

Gausman 

Beckham 

Bundy - starts next year 

Mancini not until 2020 

It is no wonder so many people think Angelos may be selling. They have some position players prospects we all know about to fill some holes. Bundy is here through 2021, Gausman 2020, hope is for Harvey on the way.  

This year looks like a take a chance and hope for the best approach with no real sense of urgency to go after it.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

How low are they about to go? 

$50MM off books after this year- Jones, Manny, Britton, Brach 

$22MM at least off books after 2019-O’Day, Trumbo. Add more with Cashner.

Arb eligible players are

Schoop who is only here through 19

Joseph 

Gausman 

Beckham 

Bundy - starts next year 

Mancini not until 2020 

It is no wonder so many people think Angelos may be selling. They have some position players prospects we all know about to fill some holes. Bundy is here through 2021, Gausman 2020, hope is for Harvey on the way.  

This year looks like a take a chance and hope for the best approach with no real sense of urgency to go after it.  

I have no idea.

My guess, from watching this owner for a couple decades now, is that the team will sign a series of past their prime vets to above market deals (only way to lure them) in an attempt to make things looks presentable.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So?

Are you saying that Angelos didn't know it was coming?

For the record I am in the camp that the team is supporting the law firm.  If anyone has financial data on the law-firm I'd love to see it.  Last thing I read was years ago and it said that they were cutting back.  Well that and a piece about how asbestos cases might be handled in the future.

I think Angelos has some big law suits against oil companies and a really big tobacco law suit.

So its not all just the asbestos for his firm.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I think Angelos has some big law suits against oil companies and a really big tobacco law suit.

Yes ... by all account Angelos’ will be remembered as a brilliant lawyers that was involved in a number of large class action cases. 

His legacy will also likely include being one of MLBs worst owners during this era.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea.

My guess, from watching this owner for a couple decades now, is that the team will sign a series of past their prime vets to above market deals (only way to lure them) in an attempt to make things looks presentable.

My point is other than the MASN situation it is the perfect time to sell. Other than Davis no money on the books and he won’t look like a villain trading away players like the Marlins, simply let them leave in FA.  

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Has or had?

The only oil company victory I can find is from 2011 and I have no idea if the reward was overturned or lowered on appeal.

Just now, eddie83 said:

My point is other than the MASN situation it is the perfect time to sell. Other than Davis no money on the books and he won’t look like a villain trading away players like the Marlins, simply let them leave in FA.  

Never seen any indication that he wanted to sell.  And MASN is kinda a huge issue that most purchasers would want to see resolved.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Yes ... by all account Angelos’ will be remembered as a brilliant lawyers that was involved in a number of large class action cases. 

His legacy will also likely include being one of MLBs worst owners during this era.

Glad you put in this era.

I remember some really bad ball owners. :)

Just now, Roll Tide said:

The thing is if he didn’t own the Orioles he still would not be that well known. 

Owning a team makes you much more well known than being a big shot lawyer. 

Honestly, I don't think it's far to give Angelos a lot of blame.  He's put the money out there in terms of payroll.  I'll blame him for running Davey and Gillick out after '97 all the way through to the MacPhail/DD and Buck hires, but since then, I really can't complain too much.  Would it be nice if he was more engaged and communicated more?  Maybe.  But the payroll is the highest it's ever been and is i the upper half of the league I believe, so at least he's giving DD resources.  How DD choose to use those resources is up for debate, etc.

Archived