Cashner, Presley, Tillman - are the O's done now?

interloper

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have not seen an article saying the O's are cutting payroll this season.  Have you?

If they aren’t willing to go after a big ticket pitcher than where are they going to spend it? 

Go sign 25 Alex Presley types? 

Certainly looks to me he is trying to cut money even with a ton coming off the books.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has or had?

The only oil company victory I can find is from 2011 and I have no idea if the reward was overturned or lowered on appeal.

Good point, I did find this:

He does list a large area of practicing expertise:

3 minutes ago, esmd said:

Honestly, I don't think it's far to give Angelos a lot of blame.  He's put the money out there in terms of payroll.  I'll blame him for running Davey and Gillick out after '97 all the way through to the MacPhail/DD and Buck hires, but since then, I really can't complain too much.  Would it be nice if he was more engaged and communicated more?  Maybe.  But the payroll is the highest it's ever been and is i the upper half of the league I believe, so at least he's giving DD resources.  How DD choose to use those resources is up for debate, etc.

But if the Davis contract was at the insistence of ownership than you have to include that in your assessment of payroll.  Giving Dan a replacement level first baseman isn't the same as handing him 23M.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

Honestly, I don't think it's far to give Angelos a lot of blame.  He's put the money out there in terms of payroll.  I'll blame him for running Davey and Gillick out after '97 all the way through to the MacPhail/DD and Buck hires, but since then, I really can't complain too much.  Would it be nice if he was more engaged and communicated more?  Maybe.  But the payroll is the highest it's ever been and is i the upper half of the league I believe, so at least he's giving DD resources.  How DD choose to use those resources is up for debate, etc.

He limits and restricts the entire organization with his philosophies. 

He certainly does not allow DD to have X amount of resources and go do as he pleases.  

I would not say overall he is cheap, I agree there.  

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I have not seen an article saying the O's are cutting payroll this season.  Have you?

Nor have I.

What is our current estimate payroll out?

My gut thinks 165M range, was not the norm, and its going to be in the 145M range, leaving something in the tank, in case something good comes available.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The thing is if he didn’t own the Orioles he still would not be that well known. 

Owning a team makes you much more well known than being a big shot lawyer. 

Hehe - just axe Frobby!  :ph34r:  Although, I suspect, he likes i that way!

Just now, eddie83 said:

He limits and restricts the entire organization with his philosophies. 

He certainly does not allow DD to have X amount of resources and go do as he pleases.  

I would not say overall he is cheap, I agree there.  

Angelos is not cheap, just probably not the best at managing how he spends what he spends.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Nor have I.

What is our current estimate payroll out?

My gut thinks 165M range, was not the norm, and its going to be in the 145M range, leaving something in the tank, in case something good comes available.

Dan doesn't seem to like leaving any money unspent.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Cashner, Presley, Tillman. LOL. That's what they've added to a last place team. That'll definitely bring the fans back...

Presely is just a MIL invite to spring training, I wouldn't read too much into this activity.

Cashner was ranked as 5th best FA SP available.

After a long look at Tillman, they signed him to major league deal, and not MIL with incentives. They must like what they see.

Archived