Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I like the depth signing. I hope it doesn't take us out of the running for Jay. Could use both. I wish we could trade Trumbo. 

Rasmus is too similar to other Orioles hitters.  Maybe the Orioles still make an offer for Jay, but I don't think Rasmus would have signed if he didn't think he had a good chance to make the 25 man roster.  

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You can forget about Jon Jay now.  He would be a much better fit than Rasmus.  

Both can play all of the outfield positions.  Both are left handed.  Jay does get on base more.  Rasmus is 2 years younger, and has a higher slugging % and OPS+.

Just don't see a reason to say that Jay is a "better fit."  As the left handed side of a right field platoon and a player that can spell Jones or Mancini, Rasmus is fine.  Especially since he's on a minor league deal during camp.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Both can play all of the outfield positions.  Both are left handed.  Jay does get on base more.  Rasmus is 2 years younger, and has a higher slugging % and OPS+.

Just don't see a reason to say that Jay is a "better fit."  As the left handed side of a right field platoon and a player that can spell Jones or Mancini, Rasmus is fine.  Especially since he's on a minor league deal during camp.

Jay brings OBP, a skill the Orioles have lacked.  Rasmus is a high strikeout, low OBP, swing for the fences hitter, and it's the last thing the Orioles need.  

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Colby slashed .291/.333/.582/.915 against righties last year and for once the Orioles no beard policy helps us all not see this:

991bd385_mlbam.jpg

If he's matured (most of his issues are from early in his career and minor leagues due to an overbearing Dad), and the Orioles can get him on the cheap, he might be a decent fit.

Slash against RHP in 2017:

Colby: .291/.333/.582/.915

John Jay: .289/.364/.384/.748

Short right-field porch in Camden Yards? AL East experience? All favor Colby. 

I'd rather have Colby than Jay especially if Colby comes on a minor league deal.

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jay brings OBP, a skill the Orioles have lacked.  Rasmus is a high strikeout, low OBP, swing for the fences hitter, and it's the last thing the Orioles need.  

.781 vs RHP. The OBP is an issue, but at this point, I'm sure you're not surprised by that.

He works maybe a bit better as a platoon with Hays than Jay. I'd rather have Jay, but Rasmus could be alright. Decent defender, positive WAR in all season but one, can play CF in a pinch. 

Apologize if someone has already pointed this out (don't have time to read all the comments right now), but let's hope he's matured. 

“There might be a few more smiles with Colby gone.” - Adam Lind (2015)

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/adam-lind-says-blue-jays-will-smile-more-without-colby-rasmus-111335222.html

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I like this move. Minor league deal? Solid. Decent outfielder. 

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Stanton

J.D. Martinez

Granderson/ Grichuk

In a vacuum, the worst outfield addition by a last place team.  Color me unimpressed.

Are we talking about the same ballplayer????????????????

Archived