Boras Speak

weams

9 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Fair enough. However, proving yourself to HS kids is a different animal. Yet they receive millions of dollars for expectations. That's alot to expect out of a 18 year old.

You saw the odds of proving that. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, weams said:

Chances of dying in a car accident. 

0.15503875969%

Anymore, the odds of me dying during a shift or my wife dying while teaching are going up. Odds of playing a game isn't high on my list. I commented about taking a million dollars out of desperation. It wasn't about Pedro defying odds. It touched a little nerve. My wife has to supply material for her class out of her own pockets and now has to worry about coming home alive. For a mere fraction of what these guys have to settle for. Like I said, it kind of touched a nerve. Back on the topic at hand now. Sorry for vetting off course.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Anymore, the odds of me dying during a shift or my wife dying while teaching are going up. Odds of playing a game isn't high on my list. I commented about taking a million dollars out of desperation. It wasn't about Pedro defying odds. It touched a little nerve. My wife has to supply material for her class out of her own pockets and now has to worry about coming home alive. For a mere fraction of what these guys have to settle for. Like I said, it kind of touched a nerve. Back on the topic at hand now. Sorry for vetting off course.

I'm with you on all of that. 

34 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Looks like some are indiscriminating between probability and odds, they are not the same.

In either case the chances for any one individual to have the freakish tools to become a MLB baseball player even with an extraordinary amount of work and coaching is very. very. very small. 

Much less of a chance than winning the Powerball. Not a career choice. Not a job. A freakish opportunity for only the smallest subset of humans. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

In either case the chances for any one individual to have the freakish tools to become a MLB baseball player even with an extraordinary amount of work and coaching is very. very. very small. 

Much less of a chance than winning the Powerball. Not a career choice. Not a job. A freakish opportunity for only the smallest subset of humans. 

I think probably over 98 percent of us can play a baseball game.   Not much skill required.   There are only so few positions be because MLB has a monopoly and purposely limits the teams and number of players to such a tiny amount.   They could double the teams tomorrow if they wanted to and would have no problem filling them with players. 

On the other hand I doubt very many of us could design a rocket capable of escaping earth's orbit. Or design a nuclear bomb.   Baseball is a kids game.   

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think probably over 98 percent of us can play a baseball game.   Not much skill required.   There are only so few positions be because MLB has a monopoly and purposely limits the teams and number of players to such a tiny amount.   They could double the teams tomorrow if they wanted to and would have no problem filling them with players. 

On the other hand I doubt very many of us could design a rocket capable of escaping earth's orbit. Or design a nuclear bomb.   Baseball is a kids game.   

But playing baseball is more productive and beneficial to society.

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think it highly unlikely that if you picked 100 folks at random that 98% would be able to play or even know the rules.  

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Right, played by adults for entertainment. At the professional level very few people can play this ‘kids game’. 

If MLB decided for some idiotic reason to double the amount of teams they’d immediately dampen the talent pool. The product on the field is already diluted because there are 30 teams.

And it’s a ridiculous straw man to compare it to a rocket scientist or nuclear physicist.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Disagree. One skill can be learned and practiced. The other requires such physical gifts to be an infinitely small percentage of the total human populace. We just disagree a lot. I think the facts are on my side though.

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it highly unlikely that if you picked 100 folks at random that 98% would be able to play or even know the rules.  

My wife has stuff on a few satellites orbiting.  I think she would have preferred to play baseball.

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Right, played by adults for entertainment. At the professional level very few people can play this ‘kids game’. 

If MLB decided for some idiotic reason to double the amount of teams they’d immediately dampen the talent pool. The product on the field is already diluted because there are 30 teams.

And it’s a ridiculous straw man to compare it to a rocket scientist or nuclear physicist.

I think it is fine if you don't factor in skill level.  Like he said, I can play baseball.  I can also fire off a rocket.  That makes me as much a rocket scientist as it does a MLB player.

Launching-a-model-rocket.jpg

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Disagree. One skill can be learned and practiced. The other requires such physical gifts to be an infinitely small percentage of the total human populace. We just disagree a lot. I think the facts are on my side though.

What are you disagreeing with?   Anyone can play baseball.   I did it in little league.   I wasn't good but I caught balls and occasionally got hits.  It is comical to think many people are smart enough to design a rocket capable of space flight.    

Like anything if you artificially limit the number of positions a field it will be hard to get a position in field.   If they let teams have as big squads as they desired and removed minimum salary there would be a lot more than 25 players on each team. 

Archived