orioles4lyfe

Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you want the O's to sign between Lynn and Cobb

• Lynn
    • Cobb

1 hour ago, TouchemAll said:

Cobb the guy has been good against the O's

The complaint on him is his away splits (away from Tampa). I don’t particularly love any but I’d sign Jake, Cobb and then Lynn not factoring in salary. With salary? Def Cobb over Lynn, but we should be rebuilding LOL. If they are cheap enough and perform...could have trade value later.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/26/2018 at 7:23 AM, orioles4lyfe said:

As per Roch this morning: "The Orioles aren’t done attempting to upgrade their roster, with a source confirming yesterday that they remain in contact with the agents for pitchers Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn and Jake Arrieta. They’re not sitting back and saying they have no interest. There’s a sense within the industry that all three pitchers are coming down from their initial contractual goals, though one person told me yesterday that Arrieta’s is “still high.” And while the ideal scenario for the Orioles is a deal below three years, they aren’t refusing to guarantee that amount, according to a source."

After reading Roch's post, I realized that I've been hoping all offseason that the O's sign 1 of Lynn or Cobb, but don't know that much about them. Does anyone have a good scouting report on the two? Like what their stuff is like/what pitches they throw? I'm assuming Arrieta isn't a realistic option to come back.

Both pitchers are 30.

Lynn has a Career 3.38 ERA, S0/9 of 8.5, and has hit 170+ innings pitched five times. 

Cobb has a Career 3.50 ERA, S0/9 of 7.3, and hit 179 IP last year, but the other highest innings pitched in a year are: 166 IP, 143 IP, 136 IP. He does have AL East experience though. 

Between the 2, who would you prefer? Looking forward to hearing what the hangout has to say :) 

I voted for Cobb but would be very happy with Lynn. 

11 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I disagree. Lynn is a better pitcher than Ubaldo. IMO 

Plus, Ubaldo was known for having a high variance in performance. Lynn has been solid in each of his five seasons as a starter. There are reasons for doubts, but one thing he has is a very stable track record. 

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Plus, Ubaldo was known for having a high variance in performance. Lynn has been solid in each of his five seasons as a starter. There are reasons for doubts, but one thing he has is a very stable track record. 

Right, from just bad to downright abysmal.

There were plenty of red flags prior to signing him. As you say, Lynn would be a much better signing.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Right, from just bad to downright abysmal.

There were plenty of red flags prior to signing him. As you say, Lynn would be a much better signing.

Well, if you count placing 3rd in the Cy Young as just bad.

Jimenez had a couple very good seasons before leaving Colorado, then a couple down years, but was coming off a good season with Cleveland when we signed him. So there were red flags, yes, but not as if he was known to be as consistently bad as he was with us. Just a (admittedly predictable) shame how rarely he was able to recapture that form.

3 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Well, if you count placing 3rd in the Cy Young as just bad.

Jimenez had a couple very good seasons before leaving Colorado, then a couple down years, but was coming off a good season with Cleveland when we signed him. So there were red flags, yes, but not as if he was known to be as consistently bad as he was with us. Just a (admittedly predictable) shame how rarely he was able to recapture that form.

I was speaking about his time with the Orioles. But he was four years removed from the third place finish  when the Orioles signed him.

He had one good half season (115 ERA+ isn’t setting the world on fire) out of three (he was below replacement level the two prior years) with Cleveland and always had bad mechanics. The good half season happened in the second half just before he entered FA. It seems that was enough to dazzle an organization which had previously been opposed to the length of contract he received. 

I thought it was more about Duquette making a slash before the season started, rather than the right guy for that length of time and dollars.

o

Either of those 2 pitchers would easily bump Chris Tillman and his proverbial Wildcard status to the #5 spot from his current #4 spot, so as far as I'm concerned the Orioles will have hit the (competitive) jackpot if they sign either one of them.

There is a world of difference between keeping your fingers crossed with Chris Tillman as your #5 starter as compared to keeping your fingers crossed with Chris Tillman as your #4 starter, and either Cobb or Lynn would make that particular difference in the equation.

o

Archived