Let ME be Me

OsEatAlEast

On 2/26/2018 at 9:44 PM, PaulFolk said:

Did you just respond to your own post to agree with yourself?

22 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

xD:clap:xD

*sigh* No guys this thread was lifted from the defunct "Our old friend JTrea" thread. Who ever did it forgot to put in who I was responding to. So hence I look like the bigger banana head.

On 2/26/2018 at 7:38 PM, weams said:

He did go to the minors first. So it wasn't instant. But he did pitch like a different guy in the NL. I guess we underestimate how the extra bunting and stealing outs and the pitcher batting help a starter out. 

That’s a bit disingenuous. First off, I like MacGregor but I don’t know if that’s all he said. If he did, then the part of the story you relayed leaves out the fact that they changed what was his natural delivery, because what, they were frustrated with him throwing too many pitches? That’s a solid plan.

I also thought he was throwing too many pitches the last year or two they had him. But there’s a very simple fix to that which doesn’t involve changing the motion he’s been comfortable with since TCU.

There’s an interview (Yahoo sports Passan) in which he talks about this during the time when Adair was the pc. Britton corroborated it. 

The interesting thing about this for O's fans is that Britton is quoted in the article, discussing that dark period for the cavalry. Speaking critically of what Passan sums up as a cookie-cutter approach, Britton said:

“They took away the individual approach to everything. Things we did extremely well in the minor leagues to get to the big leagues - we were told that just doesn't work here. And you're like, ‘That's kind of weird, right?' You don't just reinvent yourself in the big leagues. That was the struggle. And the struggle, as we got older, was trying to get back to what made us what we were before.”

https://www.camdenchat.com/2016/4/26/11506982/orioles-pitchers-arrieta-britton-pitching-coach-rick-adair#comments

And the cutter, btw, is less strain on the arm than a slider.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:38 PM, weams said:

He did go to the minors first. So it wasn't instant. But he did pitch like a different guy in the NL. I guess we underestimate how the extra bunting and stealing outs and the pitcher batting help a starter out. 

Since leaving Baltimore, Arrieta has pitched 15 games against AL teams, averaging 6.47 IP/game to a 2.97 ERA.   That compares with 6.27 IP/game, 2.73 ERA overall.    So pitching in the NL may have helped him a little, but overall he was just a much better pitcher after leaving Baltimore.    

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since leaving Baltimore, Arrieta has pitched 15 games against AL teams, averaging 6.47 IP/game to a 2.97 ERA.   That compares with 6.27 IP/game, 2.73 ERA overall.    So pitching in the NL may have helped him a little, but overall he was just a much better pitcher after leaving Baltimore.    

Were they all in AL parks?

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

That’s a bit disingenuous. First off, I like MacGregor but I don’t know if that’s all he said.  And the cutter, btw, is less strain on the arm than a slider.

Yes. Yes it is. 

And it was a Q and A. Scott did not intentionally leave anything out. The session devolved into a discussion of Mike Wright and his various issues as well. 

24 minutes ago, weams said:

Were they all in AL parks?

Geez, weams, you are making me work hard!

10 were in AL parks: 6.47 IP/start, 2.78 ERA.    His 5 starts in Chicago were 6.47 IP/start, 3.34 ERA.

And before you ask, since I know you’re going to: 6 of the 15 games were against the AL East:

@BOS 7.2 IP, 0 ER

BAL 7.0 IP, 1 ER

@TOR 6.1 IP, 2 ER

@BOS 4.1 IP, 5 ER

@BAL 6.2 IP, 2 ER 

TOR 6.1 IP, 1 ER

Total vs. AL East: 38.1 IP, 11 ER, 6.38 IP/start, 2.58 ERA.    At AL East parks: 25 IP, 9 ER, 6.25 IP/start, 3.24 ERA.

Interestingly, he hasn’t faced the Yankees or the Rays since moving to the NL.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Geez, weams, you are making me work hard!

10 were in AL parks: 6.47 IP/start, 2.78 ERA.    His 5 starts in Chicago were 6.47 IP/start, 3.34 ERA.

And before you ask, since I know you’re going to: 6 of the 15 games were against the AL East:

@BOS 7.2 IP, 0 ER

BAL 7.0 IP, 1 ER

@TOR 6.1 IP, 2 ER

@BOS 4.1 IP, 5 ER

@BAL 6.2 IP, 2 ER 

TOR 6.1 IP, 1 ER

Total vs. AL East: 38.1 IP, 11 ER, 6.38 IP/start, 2.58 ERA.    At AL East parks: 25 IP, 9 ER, 6.25 IP/start, 3.24 ERA.

Interestingly, he hasn’t faced the Yankees or the Rays since moving to the NL.

Ok. I concede the point. Thanks for the effort.  My real point that I was making was that Jake did not immediately become ace. He had some time in the minors before pitching for a team with no playoff aspirations. Unlike the Orioles the season before and that season. 

15 hours ago, OsEatAlEast said:

*sigh* No guys this thread was lifted from the defunct "Our old friend JTrea" thread. Who ever did it forgot to put in who I was responding to. So hence I look like the bigger banana head.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. You're off the hook ;) 

5 hours ago, weams said:

Yes. Yes it is. 

And it was a Q and A. Scott did not intentionally leave anything out. The session devolved into a discussion of Mike Wright and his various issues as well. 

Maybe not intentionally, but it’s pretty close to spinning the company line. Buck didn’t like him and they justified the move at the time. 

Which is why, I’m pretty certain Buck would be against the move even if he fell into their lap on a one year deal.

8 hours ago, weams said:

Ok. I concede the point. Thanks for the effort.  My real point that I was making was that Jake did not immediately become ace. He had some time in the minors before pitching for a team with no playoff aspirations. Unlike the Orioles the season before and that season. 

He was in the minors for about 5 weeks for the Cubs.    He made 7 starts in AAA, got hit hard in the first two (4.2 IP, 11 H, 4 ER) but then settled in (25.2 IP, 21 H, 8 ER) over his last five outings and got promoted back to the bigs.    I believe he’s been quoted as giving a lot of credit to the Iowa pitching coach for straightening him out.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He was in the minors for about 5 weeks for the Cubs.    He made 7 starts in AAA, got hit hard in the first two (4.2 IP, 11 H, 4 ER) but then settled in (25.2 IP, 21 H, 8 ER) over his last five outings and got promoted back to the bigs.    I believe he’s been quoted as giving a lot of credit to the Iowa pitching coach for straightening him out.

Yep, that is how I remember it as well. 

Archived