Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

For a team that wants to improve OF defense I can’t see him playing much in the OF if he makes it. What I can see is once Santander goes down to the minors he comes up.  

Bench could be 

Backup C?

Utility Inf ? 

Rickard/Gentry

Valencia 

If they want Hays up by then, Rasmus could replace Rickard or Gentry. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

You don't give someone 1.2$ M with $3M in options to send him to AAA. I am sorry. I don't agree.

Not saying I am in favor one way or the other, but what makes you think the O's will get a return at the deadline that gets approval from Peter AND makes it worthwhile to execute vs. just getting the draft pick?

How much did Pedro make last year? 

4 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

You don't give someone 1.2$ M with $3M in options to send him to AAA. I am sorry. I don't agree.

Not saying I am in favor one way or the other, but what makes you think the O's will get a return at the deadline that gets approval from Peter AND makes it worthwhile to execute vs. just getting the draft pick?

If he goes to AAA, he doesn't make the 3M in incentives.

What did they pay Janish for AAA?

Every team makes moves like these.  

Danny Valencia is a name that people recognize, though.  Had it been some other guy you'd never heard of, this wouldn't be a thread.

But it's Danny Valencia.

I'm aware that not every move that gets made can move the needle for us, and this one sure doesn't.  It's just annoying that time and focus is spent on something like this when Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn are still out there.

More I think about this the more it makes sense. I think it would be hard for him to make the Opening Day roster unless they are honestly willing to play him in the OF. I guess it is possible they could use him instead of a regular utility player. 

I just think once Santander goes down that opens up a bench spot. Rasmus and/or Hays can back up CF.  You don’t really need both Gentry and Rickard on the same team. As I said earlier you can keep Hays, Rasmus and Valencia and drop Gentry and Rickard.  

18 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Platoon partner for Davis too?

Red Sox have 4 left handed starters, Yankees have 2.  If we're a burr in their side this year, easy to see Valencia having a Roenicke-ish part in it.

I like that. I liked Roenicke.

15 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If he goes to AAA, he doesn't make the 3M in incentives.

What did they pay Janish for AAA?

We will see I guess. Janish was an all glove, no hit SS with limited options. Valencia is always gobbled up by someone at the deadline. Not the same thing IMO.

All I know is I also read on this board how Miley and Ubaldo were going to have bounce back years last year too. I am wrong too (I thought Wilson would be a viable #5), but I just think he will probably be on the OD roster barring a slow start.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Every team makes moves like these.  

Danny Valencia is a name that people recognize, though.  Had it been some other guy you'd never heard of, this wouldn't be a thread.

But it's Danny Valencia.

I'm aware that not every move that gets made can move the needle for us, and this one sure doesn't.  It's just annoying that time and focus is spent on something like this when Arrieta, Cobb and Lynn are still out there.

I get the frustration but one has nothing to do with the other. 

DD as usual is trying to improve the team at the edges of the roster. 

The pitcher decision is all about $ and has nothing to do with this move.  

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

We will see I guess. Janish was an all glove, no hit SS with limited options. Valencia is always gobbled up by someone at the deadline. Not the same thing IMO.

All I know is I also read on this board how Miley and Ubaldo were going to have bounce back years last year too. I am wrong too (I thought Wilson would be a viable #5), but I just think he will probably be on the OD roster barring a slow start.

Miley had the talent to bounce back, remember his 11 K CG towards the end of 2016 after Scotty had talked to him about overthinking things.

Sadly, Ubaldo too, really stepped it up and had a very good close out of 2016, filling in for Tilly.

Sadly neither did bounce back.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

More I think about this the more it makes sense. I think it would be hard for him to make the Opening Day roster unless they are honestly willing to play him in the OF. I guess it is possible they could use him instead of a regular utility player. 

I just think once Santander goes down that opens up a bench spot. Rasmus and/or Hays can back up CF.  You don’t really need both Gentry and Rickard on the same team. As I said earlier you can keep Hays, Rasmus and Valencia and drop Gentry or Rickard.  

Rickard is the one I hope they don't keep. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I get the frustration but one has nothing to do with the other. 

DD as usual is trying to improve the team at the edges of the roster. 

The pitcher decision is all about $ and has nothing to do with this move.  

Sure, it has everything to do with it, you said it yourself.  DD is trying to improve the team.  This doesn't improve the team.  Cobb, Arrieta, Lynn would improve the team.  

I guess if you're looking at the "edges of the roster" but the edges of the roster don't mean squat unless there's a core that can compete.  And right now, the core can't compete.  You know it as well as I do,  this team isn't a playoff contender.

And so that's the frustrating thing here.  He's focused on "the edges of the roster" when the edges of the roster don't mean anything for a team like this. 

So it's either overhaul it, trade everyone and rebuild with some sort of strategy focused around younger talent, or it's put all the chips on the table, sign one of the three guys that's out there and see if we can surprise some people and make a WC push.  

This one foot in the door, one foot out crap isn't doing anyone any good.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, it has everything to do with it, you said it yourself.  DD is trying to improve the team.  This doesn't improve the team.  Cobb, Arrieta, Lynn would improve the team.  

I guess if you're looking at the "edges of the roster" but the edges of the roster don't mean squat unless there's a core that can compete.  And right now, the core can't compete.  You know it as well as I do,  this team isn't a playoff contender.

And so that's the frustrating thing here.  He's focused on "the edges of the roster" when the edges of the roster don't mean anything for a team like this. 

So it's either overhaul it, trade everyone and rebuild with some sort of strategy focused around younger talent, or it's put all the chips on the table, sign one of the three guys that's out there and see if we can surprise some people and make a WC push.  

This one foot in the door, one foot out crap isn't doing anyone any good.

He can’t spend money that isn’t his. He isn’t allowed to do what you want him to do. 

Role players can help, look at Pearce. Nobody is saying this is a big deal.  I mean should Tampa or the Pirates try to add these types of players either? You can say this about many teams. 

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Wait, I said AAA Depth first! :)

Yeah but I threw the caveat in about taking over 3rd base if they end up moving Manny at the deadline.

Nannie, nannie, boo, boo!!!!!!!

Archived