Welp, are we officially worried about Bundy?

interloper

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

How can it be a fluke?

Strong headwind?

I am providing actual evidence his maximum velocity is higher than you say and you ignore it.

Yea, I'm done.  You obviously have an agenda you feel like pursuing regardless of facts.

I understand the data says he can touch 94 and 95 as early as last year. I'm saying the vast majority of the time you and I saw him pitch he's sitting 92-93. You saw the games, right? He doesn't throw 94 and 95 with any regularity whatsoever.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off, ideally you want everyone "trying to earn their spot". Right? Everyone from Hunter Harvey to Chris Davis. You want them to go out and try really hard to do well. Then, help little old ladies across the street after the game is over.

As for what is wrong with that, well having a pitcher throw all out before said pitcher is ready physically to do so could lead to injury. You really want Bundy throwing 96-97 on March second? Do you want Jones running full bore into the CF wall to make a catch?

It's practice man, practice.

o

Not if you are Felix Ungar ........

Image result for Felix Unger helping old lady across the street GIF

o

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Corey Kluber gave up 16 runs in 23 spring training innings last year. He won another Cy Young award anyway.

Bundy has a long way to go before he starts getting on that kind of pace. 10 runs in 4 innings.

But I appreciate the comforting thought why I descend into Spring Insanity.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Who said anything about velocity? I'm talking about location, and executing breaking pitches. 91 isn't great, but it's honestly the least of my concerns.

I'm saying pitchers should not be worried about results.   That means they won't do the following things that help results look good:

-- try for a little extra heat in key situations

-- try to pitch to the hitters' weaknesses

-- try to set up the hitter with one pitch to get him out on another

-- abandon a pitch that just isn't working that day

- use their full repetoire in a game (they will work on whatever they decided they want to work on that day)

-- pitch to the situation (try to get a grounder with 2 outs and first and third)

So the results in spring are pretty meaningless.   There are plenty of examples of guys who have horrible springs and great seasons.  

That being said, as he builds his arm up to 5 and 6 innings, it would be NICE (but not required) to see a decent start in one of his last two of the spring.

But right now, the results alone are absolutely nothing to worry about.   If you watch all his starts and see a problem like poor mechanics, complete inability to command a certain pitch, or whatever, that's one thing.   But the statistics really don't matter a bit.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I'm saying pitchers should not be worried about results.   That means they won't do the following things that help results look good:

- use their full repetoire in a game (they will work on whatever they decided they want to work on that day)

-- pitch to the situation (try to get a grounder with 2 outs and first and third)

So the results in spring are pretty meaningless.   There are plenty of examples of guys who have horrible springs and great seasons.  

That being said, as he builds his arm up to 5 and 6 innings, it would be NICE (but not required) to see a decent start in one of his last two of the spring.

But right now, the results alone are absolutely nothing to worry about.   If you watch all his starts and see a problem like poor mechanics, complete inability to command a certain pitch, or whatever, that's one thing.   But the statistics really don't matter a bit.

Agreed in full, mostly. 

Thanks to all who participated in my brief panic session. I will now move on to panicking about Gausman in his next start.

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Should have said try to get a grounder with ONE out and men on first and third.   Sheesh.

Spring training performance and games are pretty meaningless. But of course I'm worried! I was worried before spring training starts and will be worried until Bundy is cruising through half a season or so. Bundy is pitching meaningless innings right now in terms of results and I want him to work on pitches and such, but I also want him to strike out three hitters an inning on wicked pitches that make the hitters look silly. :)

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I remember when Ubaldo started spring 2014 like that. Everyone said don't worry, it's spring and he's a veteran.

I could dig up a dozen examples of guys who got lit up in the spring and then had lousy seasons, and another dozen examples of guys who got lit up in the spring and then had very good seasons (like Bundy last year).     And, I could provide a dozen examples of guys who dazzled in the spring and then stunk once the games started to count.    So, it’s just tough to know when to make something of spring training performances or not.    

One thing I do believe is that the early spring appearances are less meaningful than the later ones.    So, I’d be patient with Bundy, especially considering what happened last year.

Archived