Turns out Lance Lynn is hilarious

interloper

22 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I generally think player interviews are a waste of everyone’s time because no one ever actually says anything. Players essentially read from a list of cliched quotations and reporters lob insignificant softball questions at them that will only get answered with said cliches. When a guy comes in visibly upset that he has to participate in the charade and is open about it I actually enjoyed it. So much better than a guy reading a list of tired cliches for a couple minutes.

True dat - for example, Manny goes the tired cliche route while AJ speaks from the heart.  AJ is always quotable - hence, "The best thing about sports and life is that you have to prove it every day", from a recent interview.  Love the man!

7 hours ago, now said:

Can you think of any examples? I'm not remembering that about him, except vaguely...

He was notorious for short or "yes or no" answers. I don't know if he was really being rude or he was just a man of few words. I know from personal experience that non-talkative people can be perceived as rude or stuck up, where maybe talking just isn't their thing. I always thought he was funny and sometimes the reporters would snicker at a short answer. There was a point where he became self-aware and would smirk after a "yes" would set everyone off with laughter. I'm sure it was frustrating for some reporters.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

I generally think player interviews are a waste of everyone’s time because no one ever actually says anything. Players essentially read from a list of cliched quotations and reporters lob insignificant softball questions at them that will only get answered with said cliches. When a guy comes in visibly upset that he has to participate in the charade and is open about it I actually enjoyed it. So much better than a guy reading a list of tired cliches for a couple minutes.

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I found Bedard's interviews amusing.

Better not let Tony catch you saying that ;)

I laughed a lot with the "There's one" answer, too. 

But at some point if you're a reporter and you keep hitting a guy up like Bedard for an answer, what do you expect?  

3 hours ago, Babypowder said:

I generally think player interviews are a waste of everyone’s time, because no one ever actually says anything. Players essentially read from a list of cliched quotations, and reporters lob insignificant softball questions at them that will only get answered with said cliches. When a guy comes in visibly upset that he has to participate in the charade and is open about it, I actually enjoyed it. So much better than a guy reading a list of tired cliches for a couple minutes.

o

So Derek Jeter could have simply spoken into a tape recorder in his rookie season in 1996 and had it replayed 5 or 6 hundred times over the next 19 seasons, instead going through with the formality of actually being there and using his larynx. 

o

Archived