DJ Stewart, potential roster spot?

Legend_Of_Joey

Just now, Rene88 said:

Same. Me 3 on being critical. Good for him. I was VERY critical of the Stewart selection. My friend who was a scout (and his father was a scout) was quite critical of his arm and lack of power for a first rounder. I tended to agree, but it's good to be wrong. He looks much improved. Still not sure how high a ceiling he has, but I thought he might be a flat out bust. I am pulling for him.

He was never a ceiling pick.

I think most of us were concerned with how much he struggled early.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Stewart doesn't have the defensive skill set to play in a good ML  outfield. Could he play in the O's outfield ... probably

Wasted a first round pick on a guy whose ceiling is a ML DH, he doesn't throw with enough velocity to break a window.

This is so off the mark it's even hyperbole for you.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

50 PA: Swing %
100 PA: Contact Rate
150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
250 PA: Flyball Rate
300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
550 PA: ISO

Notice BA isn’t even on here, that’s because batting average and BABIP isn’t reliable even after a season’s worth of PAs.

Who said anything about batting average? I've watched the televised games, the kids don't look ready to me.

4 hours ago, theocean said:

Mullins, Mountcastle, Stewart, and Hays haven't hit well so far in Spring Training. They definitely need more time in the minors.

You specifically said they haven’t hit well, I interpreted that as they haven’t had good hitting results, which may not have been what you meant but I feel it was a fair interpretation given your statement. Apologies for the assumption.

I only mentioned BA because it wasn’t on the list.

9 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Stewart doesn't have the defensive skill set to play in a good ML  outfield. Could he play in the O's outfield ... probably

Wasted a first round pick on a guy whose ceiling is a ML DH, he doesn't throw with enough velocity to break a window.

Now this is $^it posting at its finest. 

Give Stewart the necessary time needed in AAA and I think he’s going to surprise some people. It’s just hilarious to me how people’s perception is shaped by being a first round pick, oh we picked DJ Stewart with the 25th pick. Terrible pick. Tim Beckham was a former number one overall pick, oh we love him. 

Stewart is comparible to an in prime Steavs Pearce. People pick at Stewart because he’s built like an NFL runningback, but people’s problem is that he’s built like Eddie Lacy rather than Adrian Peterson. 

Calling him up now would be a bit premature. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Stewart has a chance to play in the majors this year.  Don't see what a guy with a weak arm is doing in RF though.

It's not a strong arm, but I'd characterize it as more of an inconsistent/inaccurate arm than a weak arm. Maybe a 50 on arm strength that plays down as a 45 in game. They're just trying to create some positional flexibility, I'm fine with it, even if the result is determining he shouldn't play in RF.

Archived