Remaining Free agents Orioles Might Be interested In

section18

3 minutes ago, Os84 said:

I definitely want to see Cobb added too. If they can pull that off, why not Holland as well? 

I still think Holland ends up with a nice salary, at least for one year. I'd imagine if it gets down to the price point the O's would be willing to consider, it would be low enough for another team with a bigger need (see: Cardinals).

For me, like most, it's all about Cobb. He's the one on the market that I want. If not him, I'd kick the tires on Lackey for the rotation or Feldman in a long-relief/spot starter role to help provide much needed rotational depth.

If we're looking at the best of the rest I could be persuaded into considering Escobar, Drew or Melky, but don't see how either is a massive upgrade (unless the O's are hell-bent on keeping a utility infielder that can play SS even with Beckham on the roster).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he were willing to sign a minor league deal I'd sign him with an opt out for June 1st. i don't think there is much left with him, but he wasn't as awful as Tillman and he's in the rotation right now.

I'm all for signing a few different options to minor league deals with mid-season opt outs. The Orioles are short rotational depth, particularly in the first half of the season while arms further develop (see Harvey).

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I can't believe no one here is willing to consider an Ubaldo reunion................ ;)

I bet he'd take a big pay cut!

That isn't even funny:)

We already know Buck's boo thang, Ryan Flaherty will be back...let's not give him more things to destroy himself.

33 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

That isn't even funny:)

We already know Buck's boo thang, Ryan Flaherty will be back...let's not give him more things to destroy himself.

It’s kind of funny. Buck liked Jimenez (as a human being), but distance makes the heart grow fonder. Or, so I’m told. Flaherty was the subject of a flare up I had w/ Lucky Jim. And that’s all I have to say about him, Flare Dog (I hate that nickname) I mean.

A reunion with Jimenez would be like a sharp poke in the eye as a reminder of the last time the Orioles offered up a four year deal.

Ol’ Pete is one tough cookie!

....meh

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

I can't believe no one here is willing to consider an Ubaldo reunion................ ;)

I bet he'd take a big pay cut!

If we sign Ubaldo we might as well see if Matusz wants to come back as well.  

Curious to me neither Dickey nor Lackey has officially retired. Would be down for either of them at like 1/8 if we fail to sign Cobb.

And, really, why the hell are we not just putting 3/45 on the table for Cobb? Here's there for the taking. You sign him, you're good enough to contend. You don't, and you're not. Only possibilities I can think of on the quietness on the Cobb front are Angelos tossed his name out due to medicals (which is valid some of the time but he probably broadens it to get out of paying free agents) or Brady wants his boy Wright to get a rotation spot.

38 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Curious to me neither Dickey nor Lackey has officially retired. Would be down for either of them at like 1/8 if we fail to sign Cobb.

And, really, why the hell are we not just putting 3/45 on the table for Cobb? Here's there for the taking. You sign him, you're good enough to contend. You don't, and you're not. Only possibilities I can think of on the quietness on the Cobb front are Angelos tossed his name out due to medicals (which is valid some of the time but he probably broadens it to get out of paying free agents) or Brady wants his boy Wright to get a rotation spot.

Agreed.  Not that they were wise contracts, but Leake signed for 5 years 80; Kennedy for 5 years 80; Samardzija with the Giants for 6 years 90.  Any deal up to 3 years 45 for a pitcher like Cobb is a bargain... really hope they get it done.

I think I might rather have Lackey than Cobb (+a first round pick).

Lackey's numbers were totally respectable last year -- 12-12, 170IP, 1.27 whip. He had the Astros, Brewers, Cardinals, and Reds in that division, So, a good division with good lineups. 

I would certainly take Lackey over Tillman. 

17 hours ago, section18 said:

As of 5:30 PM today March 12, 2018 the following players are still available;

Will the Orioles pursue any of these players?

Pitchers - Alex Cobb, Clay Buchholz, Trevor Cahill, John Lackey, Joe Blanton, R.A. Dickey, Matt Garza and Scott Feldman

Position Players - Melky Cabrera, Chris Coghlan, Stephen Drew,  Yunel Escobar,  Matt Holliday, Mark Reynolds, Geovany Soto and Jayson Werth.

If they can't get Cobb I guess we need to consider John Lackey, Clay Buchholz, Trevor Cahill and ?  or Trade for Archer? McHugh?

Are any of these position players needed? Stephen Drew for left handed utility infielder?

I don't think they will. 

Archived