Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, interloper said:

I dunno if that holds any water. There's only so many years in an elbow period. I'm not aware of any studies that have shown TJS leads to less years of pitching than normal, assuming the pitcher makes a successful recovery, which Cobb has.

I feel I’ve read somewhere that a surgically repaired elbow usually only lasts about 7 years.    But don’t ask me where I read that.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I feel I’ve read somewhere that a surgically repaired elbow usually only lasts about 7 years.    But don’t ask me where I read that.   

I’m 100% sure I’ve read that on the OH, but that’s my only source. 

Part of the reason I want Hunter Harvey up here ASAP. 

Jon Heyman on Fanrages five days ago:

10 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Now that Cobb is the last one standing after the Lynn and Arrieta signings, perhaps that will give him a little more leverage.

The proverbial game of chicken in baseball's free agent market game is such a fickle thing sometimes. The Orioles have blinked twice so far ......... please don't blink a 3rd time, Peter/Daniel.

o

Ubaldo and Gallardo?

To the extent this has already been posted, I apologize. Brewers not seeking to pursue Cobb unless it is for a bargain.  I would think the Orioles are the frontrunners unless A) Cobb really doesn't want to play here or B) they find a way to mess this up.  Both of which are entirely possible.

http://www.bleachernation.com/2018/03/13/brewers-not-expected-to-pursue-alex-cobb-unless-its-for-a-bargain/

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

And then what, a second TJS? I still feel like 6 or 7 years is a long time for a starting pitcher. 

It's been said before but I feel the need to reiterate.....a reasonable, 3 year deal (even at 12-15 million per year, if it takes that) for Alex Cobb is just what the doctor ordered for this team.  It's not a crippling contract and, as long as he stays healthy (admittedly an 'if') its a tradable contract.  I see it as a good deal for several reasons:

- First, for this year, I think it gives us a legitimate chance to compete.  Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, probably Tillman, with guys like Wright or Cortez there as insurance, is a solid though certainly not spectacular rotation.  Obviously plenty of hand-wringing that we should've sold this offseason (which is probably correct), but we've decided we're going for it, so heck, go for it.  Again, this would not be a crippling contract.

- For next year, should we keep him, it will help bridge the gap of some of our heavy turnover.  Yes, we'd still lose Machado, Jones, Britton, and Brach (probably), but we'd essentially bring back the top 4 of our rotation, which ought to keep us at the very least somewhat respectable.  Of course, there's the case that 2019 should be a retooling year regardless, which would bring us to the next point...

- Finally, for the trade prospect.  Again, this should, unless his arm falls off, be a tradable contract.  One of the ways the Yankees have built such a strong system in the past few years is trading guys that had value on good contracts (such as Andrew Miller, though if I recall correctly there were a few others), and I think this would be an opportunity to do that.  Whether its at this year's deadline if we're out of it, next offseason, or later, if Alex Cobb is reasonably healthy and pitches near his career ERA of 3.50, that has value that should be tradable on a contract like this one.

I don't want Cobb on a one year deal because of the lost draft pick (in my view, it's just not worth it for what is still at least somewhat of a long shot to really make a run this year, even with Cobb), but having him for a pretty good price for a couple years I believe would make losing that pick worth it, and could provide an asset in several ways.

Get it done.

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

And then what, a second TJS? I still feel like 6 or 7 years is a long time for a starting pitcher. 

It’s certainly long enough where I wouldn’t worry about giving Cobb a three-year deal.   

1 minute ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

It's been said before but I feel the need to reiterate.....a reasonable, 3 year deal (even at 12-15 million per year, if it takes that) for Alex Cobb is just what the doctor ordered for this team.  It's not a crippling contract and, as long as he stays healthy (admittedly an 'if') its a tradable contract.  I see it as a good deal for several reasons:

- First, for this year, I think it gives us a legitimate chance to compete.  Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, probably Tillman, with guys like Wright or Cortez there as insurance, is a solid though certainly not spectacular rotation.  Obviously plenty of hand-wringing that we should've sold this offseason (which is probably correct), but we've decided we're going for it, so heck, go for it.  Again, this would not be a crippling contract.

- For next year, should we keep him, it will help bridge the gap of some of our heavy turnover.  Yes, we'd still lose Machado, Jones, Britton, and Brach (probably), but we'd essentially bring back the top 4 of our rotation, which ought to keep us at the very least somewhat respectable.  Of course, there's the case that 2019 should be a retooling year regardless, which would bring us to the next point...

- Finally, for the trade prospect.  Again, this should, unless his arm falls off, be a tradable contract.  One of the ways the Yankees have built such a strong system in the past few years is trading guys that had value on good contracts (such as Andrew Miller, though if I recall correctly there were a few others), and I think this would be an opportunity to do that.  Whether its at this year's deadline if we're out of it, next offseason, or later, if Alex Cobb is reasonably healthy and pitches near his career ERA of 3.50, that has value that should be tradable on a contract like this one.

I don't want Cobb on a one year deal because of the lost draft pick (in my view, it's just not worth it for what is still at least somewhat of a long shot to really make a run this year, even with Cobb), but having him for a pretty good price for a couple years I believe would make losing that pick worth it, and could provide an asset in several ways.

Get it done.

I agree with pretty much all of this.  I just hope he stays healthy enough to give us innings over a 2-3 year deal.

I doubt they get Angelos to agree to anything.  If they wanted Lynn they could have had him by offering him a 2 year 24 million dollar deal.  Probably get Cobb for the same.  I hope Cobb signs today so we can't stop worrying about the situation.  I wish baseball was like football and all the players signed pretty quickly.  This dragging out stuff is just annoying. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I doubt they get Angelos to agree to anything.  If they wanted Lynn they could have had him by offering him a 2 year 24 million dollar deal.  Probably get Cobb for the same.  I hope Cobb signs today so we can't stop worrying about the situation.  I wish baseball was like football and all the players signed pretty quickly.  This dragging out stuff is just annoying. 

Same. It's exhausting. Someone just sign the guy already. I almost don't care if it's not the O's at this point. 

Yes Sign Cobb.  Will provide for the first time in at least 4 years (2014) a reliable consistent starting rotation with a better than average BP that could be upgraded with the return of Britton or trade.     This is not about the long term.  Machado and Jones are gone after this year without equivalent replacements in the system. However for 2018 the lineup looks balanced,  not dependent on one or two bats, a bench to rest the starters when they slump or are injured.  Someone WILL exceed expectations this year and any decline - Davis or Trumbo - can be managed.  Cobb makes this the best team since. 2014 and a wild card contender.   If at the break all is lost you start the rebuild and trade Machado,  Jones,  Britton and Brach.

Archived