Teams (except O's) keep saying not in on Cobb.

HOF19

Lets say we sign Cobb and do nothing at the deadline allowing Machado, Jones, Britton and Brach all leave. What then?

Well...the team is still okay:

You have:

C- Joseph, Sisco, Wynn

1B/DH - Davis, Trumbo, Mancini

2B- Schoop

SS- Beckham

3B- Mountcastle

OF- Hays, Santander, Mullins, Stewart

SP- Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Harvey

RP- Givens, O'Day, Scott, Castro, Areujo (or whichever Rule-5 guy(s) stick around), etc.

Sure, you need to bulk up the bullpen again and need to figure out if Sisco and Mountcastle can handle their positions defensively. There's some additions/adjustments needed, but it's not that bad. With Cobb, there are five legitimate SP options for 2019 already on board. The team could still use an upgrade, sure, but the starting point is at least respectable (unlike starting with two SP this offseason).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Palmer tweets that Cobb is looking for 4/68.  Do you do that?

Cobb has thrown 180 innings exactly zero times in his career.  He's thrown over 150 only twice.

I still think I'd like to have him, but 17M over four years is way too much for my blood.   I like a 3/30 deal with incentives that could make it a 3/45 or 3/50 deal.   

7 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

o

I would, but I'm not Peter.

Also, as I stated before, leverage is actually going back to Cobb now that Lynn and Arrieta have both been signed ........ he's now the proverbial last man standing, and desperate teams (such as the Orioles) need him more than ever now that there are no other free agent options that are in his league.

o

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Cobb has thrown 180 innings exactly zero times in his career. He's thrown over 150 only twice.

I still think I'd like to have him, but $17M over four years is way too much for my blood. I like a 3/30 deal with incentives that could make it a 3/45 or 3/50 deal.   

o

Good points.

I might sweeten the pot a tad to 3/54, which would be $18 Million a year for 3 years, instead of $17 Million a year for 4 ........ a sort of compromise/bone to throw him by giving him $1 Million a year more for 1 year less, instead of just telling him that his request of 4 years for $68 Million isn't even a remote consideration.

o

13 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Palmer is spouting old information from months ago. He doesn't really know. He knows pitching, but I strongly doubt that's any real inside information.

Give him 3/50 with a 4th year option at $18M.  Make the option kick in on IP's over the 3 years, WHIP over the first 3 years, etc.  Basically if he delivers on the first 3 years, bam, the 4th year kicks in.

Archived