Sun Next?

weams

I subscribe to the Washington Post (online), The Austin American-Statesman and the Austin Chronicle, along with monthly contributions to three non-profit radio stations and PBS.  I look at it as my civic duty.  Guys, if you don't support journalistic endeavors, they will certainly go away.  Do you want to live in a world where the frigging Huffington Post is your only news source?  I sure don't.

And don't tell me you can't afford it.  I imagine everyone on this forum spends more money on beer than they do on newspaper subscriptions.

13 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

I subscribe to the Washington Post (online), The Austin American-Statesman and the Austin Chronicle, along with monthly contributions to three non-profit radio stations and PBS.  I look at it as my civic duty.  Guys, if you don't support journalistic endeavors, they will certainly go away.  Do you want to live in a world where the frigging Huffington Post is your only news source?  I sure don't.

And don't tell me you can't afford it.  I imagine everyone on this forum spends more money on beer than they do on newspaper subscriptions.

I think people are slowly waking up to this. We more than ever have to hold the media and our leaders accountable. Newspapers help do just that. Lose them and we might find ourselves in a self imposed electronic dark age where the few control all knowledge.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Online....I still read Mike Preston and Schmuck.

Can't stand Mike Preston.  His self-importance and general schtick rubs me the wrong way.  Further, he doesn't really seem to care about putting forth strong analysis one bit (even for a more general audience), which has driven me away from the Sun's Ravens coverage (used to be a part of my routine) and toward online outlets (forums, fan sites, etc.) that seem to legitimately care about doing good work.

16 hours ago, SteveA said:

I agree.   I also work in a situation with limited work internet, so I read a paper (or two) with my lunch every day.

And when I have a whole paper, I read the whole paper.   No, not every article, but I go through every page and read articles of interest.

It might not add to my knowledge of the Orioles, because I go places like this and get all I need.

Today's Sun had an article on how they are reviving Hammerjacks that included the history of the old Hammerjacks, plans for the new one, etc.   It was interesting, I have many memories of the old Hammerjacks.   But if I didn't have a paper, there's no way I would have woken up this morning and decided to search the web for information on Hammerjacks.

Yesterday's health section had an article on new treatment for Parkinson's.   It's not a disease that I or anyone close to me has, but it is interesting information.   I never would have woke up yesterday and decided to look for something like that on the web.

There are examples of that every day.   I think if you at least peruse a newspaper daily and read articles of interest, you will wind up a lot more well rounded and knowledgable in the long run.   Not to mention if it is your local paper, you will know a lot more about the community you live in.   I know about bills that are before the legislature in Maryland that I would never have searched out information on otherwise.

Thanks!  Got some friends afflicted.....

18 hours ago, Beef Supreme said:

Print means permanence. That's one of many reasons why it is more reliable than digital 'news.' Newspapers can't print outright lies without having to answer for what they printed. Online content can be, and is, edited as desired, especially when originally posted with malicious intent.

There is truth in what you say. Though most reliable, "real" news sources would not intentionally publish lies, mistakes are made. 

At my shop, the online version of a story is often a rough draft of what makes it into print. To get clicks, stories gotta hit the website fast. As a result they don't get the same attention from editors. Sometimes the stories are fixed or cleaned up later, oftentimes not.   

Though the internet has replaced my need to actually subscribe to a newspaper, I still read many of them on the internet.  With large media conglomerates only covering the same top teams and the stars, and that poorly, I would think fans of smaller and mid market teams SHOULD be scared by this story.  Though our local writers are far from perfect, I think we get more info from them than we might think. For me, they are often a first source of injury news.

1 minute ago, TheBee said:

Though the internet has replaced my need to actually subscribe to a newspaper, I still read many of them on the internet.  With large media conglomerates only covering the same top teams and the stars, and that poorly, I would think fans of smaller and mid market teams SHOULD be scared by this story.  Though our local writers are far from perfect, I think we get more info from them than we might think. For me, they are often a first source of injury news.

Eduardo Encina is quoted here quite often.

5 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

In his function as the Orioles beat reporter for the Baltimore Sun, no?

2 minutes ago, TheBee said:

Without money from The Sun, could he live off his Twitter.

I'll quote someone else.

I don't quote him because he is superior, I quote him because it's convenient.

It isn't often where I'll see a piece in the Sun and go "wow, that was really good, I learned a lot."

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll quote someone else.

I don't quote him because he is superior, I quote him because it's convenient.

It isn't often where I'll see a piece in the Sun and go "wow, that was really good, I learned a lot."

Meoli on the other hand. Probably the best the Sun has seen in a long time regarding Orioles coverage, analysis, and pure writing skill.

Archived