2018 Chris Tillman

Il BuonO

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Guess Bundys start last night was a mirage then? Since Cleveland isn't a major league offense. 

You’re not comparing Tillman to Bundy, are you? Cleveland’s offense is better than they’ve started, but CT doesn’t have command from one batter to the next.

No one wants him to succeed more than me, but he was fortunate he only allowed what he did. The slider was a little more crisp, but I didn’t see much reason to be excited.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

He was meh today.  He had little more control on his pitches and got lot more swing and misses then he has in his other starts, which is a good sign.  I actually saw some finish in some of his off speed pitch and had the curve looking like a strike and get batters to chase.  He still had some issues with the command on the fastball and not much movement.  As a fifth starter what he did today would be ok and he showed a bit of step forward so he should get another couple starts and it is not like we have ton of options.  

I think this is about right.   I saw some nice breaking pitches and some good two-seamers from Yollman at times.    I also saw a lot of pitches in the middle of the plate early.  Have a look at this strike zone plot and the number of pitches that were center cut:

location.php-pitchSel=501957&game=gid_20

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it's telling that TIllman's "best", "most encouraging" start is one in which he gives up 3 home runs.

I didn’t see the last two.    One thing I thought was weird was that on the first homer, Tillman’s pitch was basically right where Sisco had set his target, basically belt high and dead center.    I didn’t understand that target at all.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it's telling that TIllman's "best", "most encouraging" start is one in which he gives up 3 home runs.

Right.  And its starts like these that earn him 2 or 3 more starts before serious conversations about cutting him begin again.  Starts like these delay the inevitable for a few more weeks. meh

I thought it was a decent showing for a #5 starter. Tillman will never be more than that again, but if he can pitch the way he did today until Harvey is ready to come up in the second half, he will at least save the bullpen from imploding. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see the last two.    One thing I thought was weird was that on the first homer, Tillman’s pitch was basically right where Sisco had set his target, basically belt high and dead center.    I didn’t understand that target at all.

Yeah just went and watched the videos, the first one was weird, Sisco had the glove kind of down and in and brought the glove up at the very last moment. I don't even know if Tillman had time to adjust to the target change, but it was weird all around. I guess they were trying to throw a high FB for a swing and miss, I don't know. It being an 86mph pitch that didn't move probably was a large part of the problem too though. 

The second home run, Sisco's glove was set up at the knees (3-1 count) and Tillman missed up, middle middle at 87mph FB.

The third HR, Sisco was set up down and away (3-1 count again) and Tillman missed badly with a 88mph FB.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah just went and watched the videos, the first one was weird, Sisco had the glove kind of down and in and brought the glove up at the very last moment. I don't even know if Tillman had time to adjust to the target change, but it was weird all around. I guess they were trying to throw a high FB for a swing and miss, I don't know. It being an 86mph pitch that didn't move probably was a large part of the problem too though. 

The second home run, Sisco's glove was set up at the knees (3-1 count) and Tillman missed up, middle middle at 87mph FB.

The third HR, Sisco was set up down and away (3-1 count again) and Tillman missed badly with a 88mph FB.

His command is not very good these days, especially when he tries to go down in the zone.   

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Right.  And its starts like these that earn him 2 or 3 more starts before serious conversations about cutting him begin again.  Starts like these delay the inevitable for a few more weeks. meh

Among fans, but I don't any serious evaluator sees him throw and thinks he's a rotation piece. I just don't see a MLB average pitch at this point.

1 minute ago, Luke-OH said:

Among fans, but I don't any serious evaluator sees him throw and thinks he's a rotation piece. I just don't see a MLB average pitch at this point.

I saw him break off a couple of vintage Tillman curve balls yesterday, but not consistently.  

11 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

You’re not comparing Tillman to Bundy, are you? Cleveland’s offense is better than they’ve started, but CT doesn’t have command from one batter to the next.

No one wants him to succeed more than me, but he was fortunate he only allowed what he did. The slider was a little more crisp, but I didn’t see much reason to be excited.

No I'm not. But some people act as though Cleveland isn't a good offense. And I'm not even saying Tillman was good or bad against Cleveland. I' saying you can't win if you don't score. No matte the end results. And he gave up 2 runs thru 5. Should be good enough. Of course, Buck had to force one more inning.

5 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Chris Tillman, stopper.

:leaving:

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

faffee3f5e2380e81a0724fbfd0bbda9.jpg

Sometimes I think my head is so big, because it is so full of dreams. Because it is.

If Joseph Merrick can overcome his adversities, so can Chris Tillman.

o

DETROIT TIGERS )))))) (APRIL 27th)

Leonys Martin - CF

Jeimer Candelario - 3B

Miguel Cabrera - 1B

Nicholas Castellanos - RF

Victor Martinez - DH

JaCoby Jones - LF

James McCann - C

Jose Iglesias - SS

Dixon Machado - 2B

Michael Bruce Fiers - RHP )) (2-1, 3.71 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups

o

Archived